expansion, n. 1. enlargement, extension, aggrandizement, increase; magnification, amplification, enhancement, deepening, heightening; widening, thickening, broadening; lengthening, waxing, prolongation, protraction; unfolding, unfurling, opening; spreading out, stretching out, branching out, Mil. deployment; diffusion, dissemination, dispersion, dispersal.
2. inflation, distension, dilatation, dilation, Physiol. diastole; bloating, puffing out, blowing up; swelling, intumescence, tumefaction, puffiness.
3. addition, accretion, increment, accession, access; augmentation, supplement, annex, annexation, appendage, appendix, addendum, adjunct; accrual, accruement, accumulation, cumulation.
4. elevation, raise, boost, rise, advancement; upsurge, upswing, upturn, step-up; mounting, ascending, skyrocketing; multiplication, doubling, redoubling, trebling, tripling, quadrupling; burgeoning, shooting up, springing up, sprouting.
5. development, explanation, expounding on or upon, detailing; intensification, concentration, escalation, acceleration; maximization, overstatement; exacerbation, aggravation.
6. strengthening, reinforcement, build-up; improvement, upgrading, Inf. pickup; growth, maturation.
7. expanse, space, spaciousness, amplitude, vastness, immensity, largeness; open space, free space, clearing, opening, open country; wilderness, waste, desert, wild region, desolate country; infinity, infinitude, unlimitedness, boundlessness; abyss, chasm, gulf; emptiness, void. expansive, adj. 1. expanding, enlarging, enhancing, deepening, heightening; extending, spreading, unfolding, unfurling, stretching out, opening; dilatable, inflatable.
2. strengthening, reinforcing; growing, maturing, flourishing; burgeoning, sprouting.
3. comprehensive, inclusive, all-inclusive, all-including, all-embracing; thorough, thorough-going, exhaustive, complete; entire, out-and-out, radical; extensive, Inf. wall-to-wall; universal, catholic, worldwide, nationwide, global, cosmopolitan; wide-reaching, far-reaching; infinite, unlimited, unbounded, unrestricted, boundless.
4. large, large-scale, big, bulky, great; substantial, considerable, sizeable, generous, liberal; immense, vast, massive; gigantic, huge, enormous, colossal, stupendous.
5. spacious, extended, expanded; ample, capacious, voluminous, roomy, commodious; broad, wide, widespread, spread out, outspread, stretched out, outstretched.
6. (of a person's character or speech) effusive, ebullient, overflowing; demonstrative, communicative, talkative, loquacious; outgoing, uninhibited, extroverted, outspoken; free, open, frank; unrestrained, unreserved, unreticent. expatiate, v. (all of speech) descant, perorate, discourse, dissertate; expand, enlarge, amplify, protract, prolong; harp on, dwell on; digress, wander, rove, roam, maunder, ramble. expatriate, v. 1. exile, banish, proscribe, outlaw, deport; expel, cast out, oust, dismiss; relegate; ostracize, blackball, exclude, isolate, maroon, seclude.
2. emigrate, migrate, leave the country. -n. 3. exile, displaced person, D.P., expellee, emigrant, emigre; castaway, outcast, pariah, outlaw, expect, v. 1. anticipate, await, abide, Archaic, attend; look ahead to, watch for, have in prospect, look forward to, keep in view; contemplate, foresee.