achieve, v. 1. accomplish, carry out, perform, execute, do; bring off, manage, SI.pull off, Inf.put over, All U.S. SI.
swing, cut, hack; make happen, cause, bring about, effect, effectuate, engineer, produce; realize, actualize, make real, make actual.
2. finish, complete, carry through; dispose of, SI. knock off, SI.polish off, expedite, dispatch; conclude, close, wind up, clinch, clench, seal, bring to a successful end; perfect, crown, top, cap, put the last or finishing touch to, consummate; end, put an end to, terminate.
3. get, obtain, procure, gain, win, earn, wrest; attain, reach, arrive at, realize, fulfill; succeed in, make good, Inf.make it, be successful, get ahead; set the world on fire, take the world by storm.
achievement, n.1. accomplishment, feat, deed, act, exploit, Archaic, gest; performance, production, action, maneuver, move, stroke, blow, coup; stroke of genius, tour de force.
2. fulfillment, realization, attainment, fruition, acquirement, success; completion, finishing, conclusion, closing; perfection, consummation, crowning, capping, topping; end, termination.
acid, n.1. acrimony, acrimoniousness, acerbity, causticity, mordancy; astringency, trenchancy, virulence, virulency, asperity, venomousness, venomness.
-adj.2. (all usu. of taste)
sour, vinegarish, vinegary, acetous, bitter, tart, harsh; acerb, acerbic, acidulous, acidulent, acescent, acidulated.
3. (all usu. of expression or temperament)
astringent, severe, stern, harsh, Obs.asper, acerb, acerbic, austere, stringent; acrid, acrimonious, caustic, mordant, stinging, bitter, pungent; trenchant, cutting, sharp, biting, acute, keen, sarcastic, satirical, ironical; vitriolic, scathing, edged, double-edged, piercing, pricking; virulent, spiteful, malicious, vicious; peevish, petulant, cross, crabbed, testy, touchy, ill-tempered; scornful, sardonic, derisive, snide.
4. corrosive, corroding, eroding, wearing away, eating away, wasting; scalding, burning.
acidify, v. acidize, acidulate, acetify; ferment, turn, sour; embitter, envenom.
acidity, n.1. (all usu. of taste)
sourness, bitterness, vinegariness, acidulousness; tartness, harshness, sharpness, acridity, acerbity.
2. (all usu. of expression or temperament)
astringency, severity, sternness, harshness, acerbity, austerity, stringency; acrimoniousness, causticity, asperity, mordancy, bitterness, pungency, venomousness, venomness; trenchancy, keenness, sarcasm, satire, irony; virulence, spitefulness, maliciousness, malice, viciousness; peevishness, petulance, Rare,
petulancy, crabbedness, testiness, touchiness, ill-temperedness, short-temperedness, edginess.
3. scorn, derision, spite, ill humor, ill temper, ill feeling.
acidulous, adj.1. sour, sourish, vinegarish, vinegary, acetous, citric, bitter, tart, harsh; acid, subacid, acerbic, acidulent, acescent, acidulated.
2. astringent, acerb, acerbic, austere, severe, stern, harsh, Obs.asper; acrid, acrimonious, caustic, mordant, stinging, bitter, pungent; trenchant, cutting, sharp, biting; acute, keen, sarcastic, satirical, ironical; vitriolic, scathing, piercing, pricking, edged, doubleedged; virulent, spiteful, malicious, vicious; peevish, petulant, cross, crabbed, testy, touchy, ill-tempered, sour-tempered; scornful, sardonic, derisive, mocking, snide.