not fit to eat or drink, unsanitary, insanitary, unhygienic, unsanitized; unwholesome, jejune, innutritious, un-nutritious, unnutritive, nonnutritious, nonnutritive; harmful, hurtful, detrimental, damaging, injurious, noxious, deleterious, noisome, destructive; pestilential, pestilent, pestiferous, mephitic, infectious, septic; toxic, poisonous, virulent, venomous, envenomed; deadly, fatal, lethal, pernicious.
ins and outs, n. 1. physical features, windings, turns, twists, bends, curves; nooks, crannies, recesses, corners.
2. intricacies, tricks of the trade, loopholes, rules of the game, one's way around; patterns, ways, habits, customs; features, characteristics, traits, particularities, peculiarities, idiosyncrasies; particulars, details, specifics.
insane, adj. 1. crazy, crazed, mad, demented, lunatic, deranged; of unsound mind, Latin, non compos mentis; psychotic, schizophrenic, Si. schizo; daft, Inf. daffy, unbalanced, touched, Inf. unglued, Inf. halfbaked, Brit. SI. bonkers, unhinged, distracted; eccentric, flighty, odd, idiosyncratic, offbeat, queer, bizarre, Chiefly Brit. Inf potty, Inf dotty, Inf. crackpot; brainsick, SI. kooky, SI. meshuga; All SI. balmy, dippy, batty, bats, cuckoo, buggy, bughouse, bugs, screwy, wacky, wacko, goofy, loony, squirrelly, bananas, nuts, nutty, nutty as a fruitcake, Section Eight.
2. out of one's head, out of one's mind, Scot. redwood, SI. loco, mad as a hatter, mad as a March hare, far-gone, stark raving mad; not all there, not quite right, not right upstairs; Inf. out in left field, SI. in outer space, SI. in orbit, Inf off the wall; Inf. cracked, Inf mental, SI. off one's rocker, SI. out of one's tree, SI. off one's trolley, Brit. SI. off one's chump; All SI. have bats in one's belfry, have a few buttons missing, have a few loose screws.
3. maniacal, hysterical, madding, Archaic, wood, delirious; frantic, frenzied, frenetic; ranting, raving, storming, foaming at the mouth, convulsing; overwrought, distraught, upset, worked-up, wrought-up, stirred-up; exasperated, provoked; beside oneself, at one's wit's end; out of control, uncontrollable, unre-strainable, corybantic, Inf. haywire, berserk, rabid, wild; violent, stormy, fierce, tempestuous, tumultuous, turbulent.
4. absurd, silly, inane, fatuous, crackbrained, foolish; irrational, wild-eyed, illogical, unreasonable; senseless, nonsensical, pointless; ridiculous, laughable, risible, derisible, ludicrous, SI. for the birds; asinine, anserine, idiotic, Inf moronic, imbecilic; childish, puerile, immature.
5. stupid, simple-minded, bird-brained, feeble-minded, dull-witted; harebrained, light-minded, light-headed, giddy, rambling, driveling, wandering, incoherent; scatterbrained, absent-minded, confused; muddled, muddlepated, bemused.
6. impractical, injudicious, unsensible; unfounded, groundless, unsound; preposterous, extravagant, excessive; inappropriate, inept, improper, incongruous, inconsistent; imprudent, indiscreet; unwise, ill-considered, ill-suited, ill-advised; short-sighted, careless, unwary, irresponsible; reckless, rash, harum-scarum; unsafe, dangerous, perilous.
insanitary, adj. 1. unhygienic, unsanitary, unsanitized, unclean; dirty, dirtied, filthy; impure, contaminated, polluted, foul, feculent; infective, infected, ger-my, septic, bacteria-infested, bacterial, disease-causing.
2. unhealthy, unhealthful, unwholesome; insalubrious, unsalubrious, bad for one's health; noxious, deleterious, injurious to one's health.