15. lay aside a. abandon, reject, Inf leave out in the cold, discard, wash one's hands of; disregard, repudiate, renounce, drop, drop the subject; brush off, shrug off.
b. put aside, push aside, cast aside, shunt, dismiss; put out of mind, Inf pay no mind, forget, ignore; put off, Inf. put on the back burner, Inf. sweep under the rug; postpone, sleep on, delay, defer; shelve, table, pigeonhole, file away, do it manana.
16. lay away a. lay in, store, stockpile, hoard, accumulate, amass; garner, collect, treasure; pile, stack, stow away, Inf. stash, heap; reserve, save, put away, put or lay aside, set by, preserve, retain; deposit, reposit, shelve; build up a nest egg, save for a rainy day, husband, economize,
b. bury, inter, inhume, entomb, consign to the grave; lay to rest, put to rest, Inf. plant, Sl. put six feet under, Sl. deep-six.
17. lay bare expose, uncover, divest, lay open; unmask, unveil, undrape, unclothe, uncloak, undress, remove the mask or veil or chadri; lift the curtain, bring to light, let into the sunshine; peel, shuck, bare, show, strip; unearth, exhume, exhibit, disinter; disclose, divulge, reveal; broadcast, publish, air, make known, relate, tell, utter, unfold, narrate, breathe; make a clean breast, unburden, open; confess, acknowledge, admit, own, allow; blurt out, blab, let slip, leak, let the cat out of the bag.
18. lay down give, give up, drop, quit, relinquish; yield, cede, turn over, surrender, submit.
19. lay down the law command, dictate, order, mandate; direct, govern, regulate, control, call the shots; crack down, put one's foot down, read the riot act, brook no denial, not take no for an answer, insist, demand; dogmatize, assert, proclaim, maintain; dominate, take the upper hand, rule the roost, show who's boss; domineer, intimidate, Inf. bulldoze, ride roughshod over, rule with an iron fist, lord it over.
20. lay for Slang, lie in wait for, ambush, ambuscade, lurk, skulk, prowl; Sl. set up, Sl. set up for a fall; entrap, set a trap for, ensnare, waylay, await, sneak up on.
21. lay hold of grab, nab, seize, snatch; catch, get hold of, get, stop, snag; clutch, grip, clasp, grasp; clinch, grapple; wrest, pull, jerk, twist.
22. lay it on Informal,
a. exaggerate, embroider, hyperbolize, stretch a point, stretch the truth, talk big, boast, blow one's own horn.
b. flatter, Inf soft-soap, jolly, butter up, slaver, fawn, drool; blarney, wheedle, cajole; praise, overpraise, praise to the skies, overlaud, pile it on, lay it on with a trowel, slather; give fulsome praise, overdo it.
23. lay off a. dismiss, discharge, let go, fire, cashier, strike off the rolls, give [s.o.] the pink slip; sack, kick out, can, give the ax, ax, bounce, chuck,
b. Slang, (usu. imperative) quit, quit it, stay, stop; withhold, desist, Naut. avast, cease, belay, hold off, let up, get off my back; enough, aw c'mon, Sl. alright already; knock it off, cut it out, can it; come off it; psst, hush, shh, shush.
24. lay out a. arrange, lay in order, prepare, set up or forth; design, plan, map, chart; outline, put down, sketch,
b. spend, expend, pay, disburse; shell out, fork out, ante up; contribute, give.
c. Slang, knock out, K.O. or kayo, knock galley-west, put out of action; flatten, strike down, topple, fell; demolish, annihilate,