2. pitch pattern, intonation pattern or contour; pitch, tone, frequency; timbre, tonality, tone quality, coloring; tune, melody, lilt, swing, jingle, flow, harmonious flow, rhythmic flow; resonance, sonority, sonorousness; tonelessness.
3. accent, accentuation, emphasis, stress, syllable stress; cadence, beat, rhythm, tempo, pulse, throb; pulsation, cadency, rhythmicity.
4. Grammar, affix, suffix, prefix; conjugation, declension; accidence, syntax, word order; paradigm; derivation, word formation, pattern of formation.
5. bend, curve, turn, turning, veer, swerve, meander, hairpin turn or bend, S-turn, U-turn; bow, arc; angle, crook, hook; deflection, flex, flexure, conflexure; curvature, curvation, curvity, deviation. inflexibility, n. 1. rigidity, stiffness, unbendable-ness, unadjustability, unyieldingness; firmness, tenseness, unmalleability, unlimberness; hardness, petrifaction, fossilization, crystallization, vitrification, flintiness.
2. immovability, unadaptability, unresponsiveness, uncompliance; stubbornness, mulishness, obstinacy, intractability, obdurateness, unbendingness, intolerance, adamantineness; implacableness, implacability, unappeasableness, unpacifiableness, unmollifiable-ness, unreconcilableness; vengefulness, revengefulness, inexorability, relentlessness; mercilessness, unmercifulness, pitilessness, uncompassion, hard-heartedness, heartlessness, inclemency.
3. unalterability, arbitrariness, unchangeability, unvariability; hard-and-fastness, rigor, resoluteness, steadfastness, perseverance, pertinacity, persistence, doggedness, grit, determination, resolve; tenacity, tenaciousness, Inf. stick-to-it-ive-ness, staying power, indefatigability; firmness, decision, Inf. backbone, strength of mind, strength of will, indomitableness. inflexible, adj. 1. rigid, stiff, unbendable, unad-justable, hard, unyielding, unretractable; firm, tense, unmalleable, unlimber, Inf. stiff as a poker, Inf. out of condition.
2. immovable, Inf. hard as nails, Inf. stiff as a ramrod; unadaptable, unaccommodating, unresponsive, uncompliant; stubborn, obstinate, intractable, obdurate, unbending, intolerant; adamant, relentless, implacable, unappeasable, unpacifiable, not to be pacified, unmollifiable, unreconcilable; unforgiving, grudge-holding, vengeful, revengeful; merciless, unmerciful, pitiless, unpitying; uncompassionate, un-compassioned, unsympathizing, unsympathetic, hardhearted, heartless, cruel.
3. unalterable, unchangeable, unvarying, hard and fast, ironclad; undeviating, resolute, steadfast, persevering, resolved, determined, tenacious, decided, firm, indomitable; Inf. set in one's ways, overly conservative, Inf. old-poopish, refractory, perverse. inflict, v. impose on, visit upon, cause to suffer; administer, serve out, deal out, lay on; wreak, execute, perpetrate; bring to bear, put upon, force on. infliction, n. 1. imposition, perpetration, administration; punishment, castigation, chastening, chastisement; penalty, requital, retribution, nemesis.
2. trouble, worry, affliction, suffering, hurt; irritation, annoyance, vexation; torture, torment, trial, tribulation, ordeal; load, burden, curse, bitter pill, crown of thorns; scourge, plague, visitation, disaster, calamity. influence, n. 1. power, potency, force, strength, pressure; effect, impact, weight, clout; control, sway, mastery, hold; guidance, leadership, direction, reign, rule; domination, authority, ascendancy, prevalence, predominance, supremacy.
2. good offices, connections, Sl. pull, Sl. drag; importance, favor, prestige, standing, footing, Obs.