ice crystals, diamond dust, frost mist, frost snow, ice needle, poudrin, snow mist.
2. coldness, coolness, iciness, glaciality, frigidity; aloofness, reserve; unfriendliness, inhospitality, cold shoulder.
-v. 3. ice, freeze, chill; wither, shrivel, brown.
4. Slang, anger, SI. burn up, annoy, vex, irk, SI. bug, irritate.
frosting, n. icing, coating, sugar-coating; finish, topping, cap, crown, polishing,
frosty, adj. 1. freezing, frigid, glacial, arctic, polar; icy, cold, chilly, cool, algid; wintry, brumal, hie-mal, hibernal; nippy, bleak, raw, bitter, bone-chilling.
2. cool, aloof, reserved, stand-offish, distant; unloving, indifferent, cold-hearted.
3. white, gray-white, hoary, niveous,
froth, n. 1. foam, spume, head, suds, yeast, fizz, bubbles, Brit. Inf. barm; saliva, spittle, spit; foaminess, frothiness, spumescence, effervescence, bubbliness.
2. emptiness, verbosity, prolixity, wordiness, running off or on at the mouth, empty talk, hot air, Inf. gab, SI. gas; idle talk, jabber, patter, gabble, babble, gibberish, twaddle, blather, drivel; claptrap, trumpery, humbug, flummery, bunkum or bumcombe, SI. bunk.
See - nonsense (def 2).
-v. 3. foam, froth, cream, come to a head, fizz, fizzle, burble, bubble up or over, effervesce; aerate, carbonate, shake up; spume, whip, beat, suds or soap up, lather.
4. seethe, ferment, simmer, stew, steam, boil over, mantle, foam at the mouth; salivate, drivel, dribble, sputter, slaver; spew, spout, spit, emit, eject, ejaculate.
frothy, adj. 1. foamy, foamlike, spumy, spumous, spumescent, sudsy, yeasty, barmy; foaming, frothing, bubbling, bubbly, fizzing, fizzy, effervescent, sparkling, Fr. mousseux.
2. shallow, unsubstantial, without substance, trivial, trifling, trite, hackneyed; nonsensical, meaningless, worthless, valueless, unimportant, insignificant; hollow, empty, void,
frown, v. 1. scowl, glower, glare, lower, gloom, look sullen, look black, look daggers, Scot. glunch, SI. give a dirty look, SI. don the hate-mug.
2. frown on or
upon disapprove, disfavor, view with disfavor, look askance at, not think much of, not take kindly to, Inf. take a dim view of, SI. be turned off by.
-n. 3. scowl, glower, grimace, pout, Fr. moue, knitted brow.
frowning, adj. scowling, glowering, lowering, threatening, angry, surly, dark, black, black-browed; sullen, sulky, morose, gloomy, glum, dour, longfaced, mopish; stern, solemn, sober, grave, grim, unsmiling.
frowzy, adj. 1. slovenly, slatternly, sluttish, dirty, shabby; blowzy, frumpish, unkempt, untidy, draggle-tailed, Inf. sloppy.
2. ill-smelling, musty, moldy, mildewy, fusty, stale, stuffy, Brit. Inf. frowsty.
frozen, adj. 1. glacial, ice-cold, bitterly cold, freez ing, wintry, arctic, Siberian; shivering, half-frozen, frozen to death, chilled to the bone.
2. unfeeling, cold-blooded, cold-hearted, cold, frigid, icy.
fructify, v. 1. fruit, bear fruit, flower, bloom, blossom.
2. fertilize, enrich; fecundate, prolificate.
frugal, adj. 1. sparing, saving, thrifty, chary; abstemious, abstinent, self-denying, self-sacrificing; selfcontrolled, temperate, moderate, conservative; con-servant, conservational, careful, unwasteful, economical, prudent, provident; scrimping, penny-pinching, parsimonious, penurious; miserly, niggardly, stingy, tight, tight-fisted, closefisted, cheap.