tience, longing, ardor, fervency, passion; aspiration, hunger, ambitiousness,
greedy, adj. 1. avaricious, grasping, acquisitive, Sl. grabby, rapacious; selfish, hoarding, possessive; miserly, penurious, parsimonious, grudging, niggardly, Rare, illiberal; stingy, mean, closefisted, tightfisted, close, Inf. tight, penny-pinching; mercenary, venal, usurious.
2. (usu. in reference to food) ravenous, ravening, voracious, devouring, gluttonous, gormandizing, cormorant, edacious; open-mouthed, hoggish, piggish, swinish; insatiable, insatiate, unquenchable, omnivorous.
3. eager, avid, desirous, cupidinous, Archaic, fain, Archaic, lickerish; anxious, breathless, impatient, longing, ardent; agog, zealous, fervent, burning; ambitious, aspiring, hungry, craving, covetous, esurient.
green, adj. 1. greenish, viridescent, virescent, emerald, bluish-green, greenish-blue, grue, aqua, aquamarine, sea-green, grass-green, olive green, pea-green, glaucous.
2. verdant, grass-covered, plant-covered, grassy, verdurous.
3. young, vigorous, sturdy, sound, healthy; strong, active, robust, energetic; growing, developing.
4. unseasoned, not aged, undeveloped, not perfected, unfinished; fresh, recent, new, raw; supple, pliant, elastic.
5. unsophisticated, inexperienced, immature, callow; inexpert, untrained, unskilled, unversed, awkward, amateurish; gullible, naive, easily fooled, credulous, simple.
-n. 6. lawn, grassy area, sward; common, village green, campus, turf; putting green, golf course,
greenhorn, n. 1. rookie, newcomer, beginner, amateur, novice, tyro, neophyte; gosling, tenderfoot, kitten, cub, pup, whelp; initiate, novitiate, learner, apprentice, Sl. jaboney.
2. dupe, Sl. fall guy, Sl. sucker, gull, cat's-paw; pigeon, easy mark, easy victim, Archaic, cully; stooge, puppet, instrument; fool, tool, April fool; butt, scapegoat.
greenhouse, n. hothouse, conservatory, Brit, glasshouse; summerhouse, gazebo, pavilion; nursery, arboretum, vinery; pleasure-garden, pleasure-grove, green court, viridarium.
greenness, n. 1. verdancy, viridity, verdure, Bot. vi-rescence.
2. youthfulness, childishness, immaturity, unripeness, incompleteness, inexperience, callowness, awkwardness.
3. innocence, simplicity, gullibility, naivete, credulity, credulousness, trustfulness.
greet, v. 1. address, salute, accost, hail, flag, wave to, give [s.o.] the glad hand or eye; hello, halloo, nod to, smile at, wink at, tip the hat to, doff the cap to; shake hands, squeeze or pump the hand, Sl. press flesh.
2. welcome, receive, meet, Archaic, gratulate; present, introduce, usher in, call in.
greeting, n. 1. salutation, address, salute, salaam, hail, welcome; hello, halloo, aloha, how do you do; bow, curtsy, genuflection, scrape; handshake, handclasp, kiss, peck; nod, bob, duck, kowtow, prostration, homage.
2. message, note, tidings, missive, letter, cable, telegram, wire.
3. greetings respects, regards, best wishes, good wishes, compliments, devoirs.