police, n.1. constabulary, police force, law enforce ment agency, Inf. the cops, Inf. the law, SI. the long arm of the law, SI. the fuzz, SI. the heat, SI. New York's finest; highway patrol, Mil. shore patrol, military police; Royal Canadian Mounted Police or RCMP, Inf. Mounties, (in Great Britain) Scotland Yard.
-v. 2. regulate, control, maintain order, keep the peace; patrol, go on one's beat.
3. Military, clean, clean up, tidy, tidy up, pick up, trim up, put in trim, straighten up or out.
policeman, n. constable, officer, officer of the law, peace officer, keeper of the peace, law enforcement agent, bluecoat, Fr. gendarme, It. carabiniere; patrolman, roundsman; traffic cop, Brit, pointsman; sherriff, marshal; military policeman, MP; All Inf. cop, copper, Brit, bobby; All SI. the man, John Law, bull, fuzz, shamus, beetle-crusher, U.S. Offensive, pig, Brit. Obs. peeler, Fr. flic.
policy, n. 1. course or line of action, strategy, de sign, plan, game, scheme; mode of management, line of conduct, rule of action; system, way, custom, habit; program, platform, schedule, organization; means, means to an end, ways and means, tactics; protocol, rules, behavior, manner.
2. expediency, suitability, suitableness, seemliness, appropriateness; properness, correctness, rightness, goodness; sensibleness, reasonableness, rationality, intelligence, prudence, advisability, desirability, desirableness, practicality, usefulness, utility.
3. cleverness, astuteness, shrewdness, ingenuity, ingeniousness; sagacity, sagaciousness, wisdom; acumen, discernment, insight, perception, percipience, flair; foresightedness, farsightedness, long-headedness.
polish, v. 1. wax, buff, burnish, rub down, smooth; shine, gloss, luster, brighten, glaze, Scot. and North. Eng. sheen; abrade, grind, pumice, scour, scrub, clean.
2. sparkle, glitter, gleam, glisten, shimmer, glow, beam, radiate.
3. perfect, consummate, finish; improve, meliorate, ameliorate, better, work out the kinks; refine, cultivate.
-n. 4. wax, lemon oil; abrasive, abradant, emery, pumice, rouge, cleanser, rubbing compound.
5. waxing, buffing, burnishment, burnishing, rubbing down, smoothing; shining, lustering, brightening, glazing; abrasion, abrading, grinding, pumicing, scouring, scrubbing, cleaning.
6. smoothness, glaze; shine, gloss, luster, sheen, shimmer, shimmering; sparkle, sparkling, glitter, glittering, glistening, gleam, gleaming, glow, glowing, beam, beaming, brightness, brilliance, radiation, radiating.
7. perfection, consummation, finish, excellence, outstandingness, superiority; expertness, masterliness, masterfulness, adeptness, proficiency.
8. refinement, good breeding, cultivation, culture, elegance, elegancy; suavity, urbanity, urbaneness, sophistication, savoir-faire.
polished, adj. 1. buffed, burnished, rubbed down; smooth, velvety, silky, slick, slippery, glassy, glasslike, glacd, glazed; waxed, glossy, lustrous, satiny, sheeny, glowing; shiny, shining, glistening, sparkling, shimmering, bright, brilliant, radiant, blinding.
2. refined, cultured, cultivated, well-bred, well-mannered, to the manner born, courtly, genteel; well-educated, well-spoken, intelligent, academic, lettered, erudite; suave, sleek, civilized, urbane, sophisticated, worldly; elegant, graceful, debonair, top-hat.