3. Law. inheritance, legacy, bequest, endowment. See - inheritance (def. 1).
hermaphrodite, n. 1. androgyne, epicene, inter sex, sex-intergrade, pseudohermaphrodite, gynandroid, Biol, gynandromorph; transsexual, bisexual, Sl. bi, unisexual.
-adj. 2. androgynous, epicine, hermaphroditic, pseudohermaphroditic, intersexual, Biol, gynandro-morphic, Bot. gynandrous, Bot. monoclinous; transsexual, bisexual, unisexual.
hermit, n. 1. anchorite, anchoret, eremite, recluse, solitary, Islam, marabout, Islam, santon, Obs. beadsman; nun, anchoress, ancress, hermitess, Obs. hermi-tress; troglodyte, cave dweller, incluse; stylite, pillarist, pillar-saint; ascetic, celibate, monk, monastic, holy man.
2. loner, isolate, isolato, solitudinarian, Inf. introvert, Inf. lone wolf.
hermitage, n. 1. retreat, refuge, haven, shelter, asylum, resort, sanctuary, sanctum sanctorum, ark, covert, hideaway, mew; arbor, bower.
2. cloister, monastery, abbey, priory, friary, convent, nunnery, cenoby.
3. cabin, cottage, cot, hut, bungalow, shack, shanty; villa, lodge; den, lair, cave, grotto, hibernaculum, hi-bernacle.
hero, n. 1. champion, paladin, knight; conqueror, conquering hero, victor, master, man of the hour or day; stalwart, gallant, valiant, cavalier, chevalier, a man, brave man, man of courage or mettle; brave, warrior, soldier, fighter, fighting man, fearless or dauntless soldier, intrepid warrior; lion, tiger, bulldog,
''gamecock, fighting cock.
2. ideal, ideal specimen, ego ideal, beau ideal, acme, apogee, apotheosis, cynosure, highest or perfect type, (in Nazi doctrine) Aryan or Arian; model, exemplar, shining example, paragon, phoenix.
3. luminary, notable, dignitary, great man, personage, person of note or consequence, figure, public figure, social lion, Inf. somebody, Inf. name or big name, Inf. bigwig, Inf. fat cat, Inf. Mr. Big, Inf. top dog, Inf. Grand Poobah, Sl. heavy, Sl. big cheese, Fr. Sl. grandfromage; celebrity, star, superstar, idol, matinee idol, popular idol, popular figure, Sl. popstar, Sl. pop hero.
4. protagonist, principal, principal character or role, title role, starring or lead or leading role, headliner, headline or feature attraction; male lead, male star, leading man, lead actor, jeune premier.
5. immortal, god, deity, divinity; demigod, inferior deity, petty deity, minor or lesser deity, godkin, godlet, godling, god-man, god-king, half-god; warrior-king, warrior-chieftain, warrior-chief.
heroic, adj. 1. brave, courageous, valiant, valorous, heroical, hero-like, stout-hearted, lionhearted, iron-hearted, great-hearted; virile, manly, manful, gallant, chivalrous, chivalric; intrepid, fearless, dauntless, aweless, dreadless, nervy, Sl. gutsy, unafraid, un blenching, unblenched, undaunted, undismayed, unappalled, unawed, unalarmed; bold, bold-spirited, high-spirited, daring, dashing, adventurous, audacious, rash, reckless, foolhardy.
2. firm, resolute, resolved, determined, staunch, stanch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic, stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; indomitable, invincible, unconquerable, unyielding, unshrinking, unbending, unfaltering, unhesitating, unwavering, unswerving, unde-viating; plucky, mettlesome, gritty, game, spirited, red-blooded, Inf. spunky.