2. firm, resolute, resolved, determined, staunch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic, stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; indomitable, redoubtable, invincible, unconquerable, unyielding, unbending, unbowing, unshrinking, unfaltering, unhesitating, unswerving, unwavering, undeviating; mettlesome, plucky, gritty, game, red-blooded, spirited, Inf spunky,
stove, n. range, oven, microwave oven, toaster oven; kiln, furnace, incinerator, reverberatory, forge, fireplace; heater, electric heater, gas heater, infrared heater; heated chamber or box, firebox,
stow, v. 1. pack, stuff, crowd, cram, tuck, wedge; reposit, deposit, warehouse, garner; store, hoard, save, Inf salt away or down; squirrel away, load up, save up, feather one's nest; stock up, lay by, lay up, lay in.
2. (all of a place or receptacle) contain, hold, receive, take in, admit, carry, seat; accommodate, have capacity for, be capable of holding.
stow away hide, conceal, secrete, ensconce, closet, cache, bury, SI. stash.
straddle, v. 1. bestride, bestraddle, get astride of, stand or sit astride; sit or stand with legs apart.
2. Informal, refrain from committing oneself, be noncommittal, waffle, hedge, sit on the fence; be vague or indefinite or ambiguous, equivocate, Inf. talk out of both sides of one's mouth, doubletalk, skirt the issue, fence, hem and haw, beat around the bush,
strafe, v. 1. bombard, bomb, Brit. SI. prang, shell, torpedo, Mil. barrage, fusillade, blitz, blitzkrieg; shoot, fire on, open fire on, pepper, cannonade.
a. punish, penalize, retaliate, settle or square accounts with, discipline,
b. reprimand, scold, censure, admonish, reproach, upbraid.
straggle, v. 1. stray, wander off, digress, deviate; detour, go round about.
2. ramble, wander, wander around, meander; amble, amble about, gad, gad about, jaunt; nomadize, peregrinate, flit, traipse; drift, mosey, shuffle, stumble or limp or hobble along; range, rove, prowl, skip around; follow the wild goose, wander from pillar to post, see the country.
straggly, adj. 1. straggling, straying, irregular, uneven, erratic, fitful; unsystematic, unmethodical, circuitous, indirect, zigzagging, zigzag.
2. rambling, wandering, traveling, roving, itinerant, peripatetic, migratory; vagrant, nomadic; wayfaring, perambulatory, drifting, aimless, undirected, helter-skelter.
straight, adj. 1. direct, uncurved, undeviating, unswerving, unbent, unbowed; linear, lineal, in a line; straightaway, straightforward, straight-lined, straight as an arrow, dead straight.
2. level, even, flat, smooth, horizontal; perfect, true, right, just right, Inf. O.K., Inf. all right, Brit. SI. bang on.
3. frank, candid. See - straightforward (def. 3).
4. upright, upstanding, honest, honorable, aboveboard; virtuous, moral, righteous, right-minded; law-abiding, straight-arrow, conventional, conformist, conservative, Inf. square. See - straightforward (defs. 5, 6).
5. Informal, (all in reference to information, reports, etc.) reliable, trustworthy, trusty, dependable, to be depended or relied upon, tried and true; authentic, from the horse's mouth.
6. (all of ideas, arguments, etc.) right, correct, veracious; sound, valid, sensible, good, sober, well-founded, well-grounded.
7. orderly, in order or proper order, neat, tidy, shipshape, spruce, straightened-out, Inf fixed-up, in place.
8. continuous, running, nonstop, round the clock, twenty-four hour, unintermittent; unbroken, uninterrupted, successive, consecutive.
9. U.S. thoroughgoing, through and through, complete, total, full; categorical, unconditional, unreserved, unmitigated, unqualified; absolute, sheer, utter, out-and-out, outright, downright, U.S. Inf.
straight-out; perfect, proper, veritable, born, Inf.plumb, Inf regular.