decide, v. 1. determine, settle, arbitrate, umpire, referee, Inf. ref; try, hear; evaluate, weigh, consider, think over; reach or come to a decision, form an opinion, hold, deem; judge, adjudge, adjudicate, rule, decree, order, Inf. call the tune, pass or pronounce judgment, sentence.
2. mediate, intervene, interpose, step in, come between, intercede; negotiate, arrange terms, bargain, parley; bring to terms, reconcile, conciliate; placate, appease, satisfy; adjust, make or set right, set straight, remedy, fix; solve, work out, conclude, end, terminate, finish off.
3. take it into one's head, Inf. take a notion; make up one's mind, Inf. fish or cut bait, Inf. if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen; make a decision, resolve, settle on, fix on or upon; choose, pick or pick out, select.
decided, adj. 1. definite, unmistakable, marked, pronounced, clear, obvious, evident; clearcut, unambiguous, unequivocal; emphatic, categorical, absolute, unqualified, unconditional; flat, firm, fixed, definitive; final, conclusive, determinate, determinative; positive, absolutely sure or certain, unquestionable, undeniable, indisputable, incontrovertible, incontestable.
2. settled, sewed up, Sl. in the bag, clinched, clenched, sealed.
3. resolute, strong-willed, determined, dogged; decisive, unhesitating, unwavering, unswerving.
decipher, v. make out, read, understand, get [s.t.] out of it; decode, translate, interpret, render, explain, construe; solve, work out, figure out, unravel, disentangle.
decision, n. 1. determination, resolution, settling, settlement, arbitration, arbitrament, Law. award, Sports, call; judgment, adjudication, sentence; finding, conclusion, verdict, ruling, decree, edict, order, command.
2. evaluation, weighing, consideration, making up one's mind.
3. firmness, resolution, resolve, determination; grit, pluck, spirit, purpose, strength, will-power; perseverance, tenacity, persistence; steadfastness, unswervingness; decisiveness, finality, conclusiveness, definitiveness.
decisive, adj. 1. determining, determinative, deciding, settling; determinate, definite, firm, flat, fixed, definitive; unqualified, unconditional, absolute, categorical, emphatic; conclusive, crushing, final.
2. resolute, determined, decided. See - decided (def. 3).
deck, v. outfit, deck out, Archaic, bedight, array, bedeck, bedizen, emblazon, Inf. trick out; adorn, decorate, embellish, ornament, garnish, enhance, trim, spangle; furbish, refurbish, preen, Inf. spruce up; beautify, enrich, elaborate, grace.
declaim, v. 1. speak, orate, perorate, proclaim, hold forth; make a speech, sermonize, lecture; soliloquize, pronounce, enunciate.
2. denounce, inveigh or speak against, decry, attack, criticize, censure, rebuke, reproach, Inf. rap; harangue, rant, rail, spout, Inf. sound off.
declamation, n. 1. speechmaking, speaking, orating, Inf. stumping; haranguing, ranting, spouting, mouthing.
2. speech, oration, address, discourse, lecture, sermon, recitation; tirade, harangue, Inf. stump speech; oratory, delivery, eloquence, rhetoric, style, grandiloquence, magniloquence, bombast.
declamatory, adj. 1. oratorical, rhetorical, theatrical, Inf. stagy; stilted, turgid, tumid, high-sounding, pretentious, pompous.