pivot, n. 1. swivel, spindle, reel, spool, bobbin, gimbal; fulcrum, axis, axle; thole, tholepin, pin, pintle.
2. hub, nave, Inf. nub, focal point, center, heart; crucial or critical point, turning point; support, prop, brace, stay, foundation; peg, raison d'etre, occasion, cause, basis.
-v. 3. rotate, revolve, pirouette, twist, somersault, flip-flop; spin, spin like a top, whirl, whirl like a dervish, gyrate, reel; swivel, wheel, twist, circle; hinge, swing, turn.
pivotal, adj. central, focal, axial; critical, crucial, vital, decisive; momentous, of great moment, significant, important, urgent, pressing, exigent; paramount, principal, chief, supreme, main, capital, cardinal, primary, prime; basic, underlying, fundamental, radical.
pixilated, adj. pixyish, eccentric, Sl. oddball, odd, uncommon, atypical, out of the ordinary; daft, Sl. wacky, Inf daffy, Sl. far out, Sl. goofy, Sl. nutty, freakish, freaky, funny, Sl. funny-haha, Sl. funny-odd; prankish, playful, mischievous, elfin, impish; whimiscal, fanciful, capricious, unpredictable; kittenish, merry, mirthful; free-spirited, high-spirited, fey; light-hearted, giddy, sprightly, blithe, frivolous, bubbly, ebullient; amusing, delightful.
pixy, n. sprite, imp, devilkin, nix, nixie, elf, ouphe, gremlin; pixie, fay, peri, fairy; goblin, hobgoblin, brownie, bogy, boogeyman, puck, Robin Goodfellow; gnome, Irish Folklore, leprechaun; kobold, poltergeist, ghost, Southern U.S. haunt, Dial, hant, spirit.
placable, adj. appeasable, pacifiable, conciliatory,
reconcilable; forgiving, forgiving and forgetting, relenting, unresentful, unrevengeful, forbearing, longan-amous; magnanimous, unspiteful, generous, noble; indulgent, nonexacting, soft-hearted, tender-hearted, big-hearted; merciful, compassionate, ruthful, pitying, understanding, charitable.
placard, n. 1. poster, bill, public notice, Fr.
affiche, broadside, broadsheet; billboard, sign, notice; manifesto, bull.
-v. 2. post, plaster, plaster the barns; advertise, publicize, Sl. plug, Sl. ballyhoo; circularize, publish, broadcast, promulgate, spotlight, make known, Circus. arrow the route or way.
placate, v. appease, mollify, propitiate, conciliate, satisfy, please; pacify, calm, quiet, still, lull, soothe; assuage, relieve, alleviate, temper, moderate, ease;
subdue, win over, reconcile.
placatory, adj. placative, appeasing, conciliatory;
designed to please, aimed to please; calming, noninflammatory, soothing, inoffensive, soft; temperate, moderate, mediatory.
place, n. 1. location, locality, locale, whereabouts, hereabouts; spot, scene, scene of the crime, setting, Law. venue; bearings, latitude and longitude, coordinates.
2. position, situation, circumstance, condition, state, state of affairs; standing, rank, grade, means, class, estate, status; footing, station, elevation, step, Inf. notch; niche, slot, berth, billet.
3. job, employment, occupation, work, livelihood, living, pursuit; vocation, calling, profession, field, metier, line, forte, Sl. thing, Sl. bag; capacity, office.
4. function, use, purpose, role, operation; charge, responsibility, duty, task, chore, assignment, mission; affair, concern, interest, matter, Inf. lookout; scope, sphere, compass, bailiwick.
5. region, area, sector, section, quarter, zone, pale, division; territory, realm, province, shire; district, precinct, neighborhood.