moderator, n. chairman, chairwoman, chairlady, chairperson, chair; presiding officer, speaker, leader, facilitator; toastmaster, master of ceremonies, Inf. emcee, Inf. M.C.; mediator, arbitrator, umpire, referee; anchor man, co-ordinator; interviewer, discussion leader.
modern, adj. 1. contemporary, present-day, new, immediate, present, current; existing, existant, topical, contemporaneous, twentieth-century, present-time or -age, abreast of the times, SI. now, SI. today, SI. with it; recent, newly-come, late.
2. up-to-date, the latest thing, up-to-the-minute, new-fashioned, new-minted, new-coined, late-model, fresh from the factory, just out, hot off the press or fire; fashionable, in fashion, in style or vogue, all the rage, modish; newest, latest, last, most recent, newest of the new, SI. trendy, SI. in, SI. in thing, SI. the latest, SI. hip, SI. hep, SI. mod; prevalent, prevailing, popular, reigning, ruling, regnant, usual, routine, ordinary, standard.
3. advanced, progressive, forward-looking, avant-garde, neoteric, newfledged; modernistic, modernized, ultra-modern, ultra-ultra, ahead of its or one's time, streamlined, Inf. far-out, Inf. way-out; novel, newfangled, unfamiliar, unknown, uncommon, unheard-of, unestablished, untried, never-before-seen.
modernist, n. 1. modern, person of today, Inf. now person, Inf. with-it person, Inf. swinger.
2. avant-gardist, trend-setter, pacesetter, innovator; neologist, neoterist; precursor, bannerman, forerunner, pioneer, trailblazer, pathfinder.
3. modernizer, reformer, transformer, innovationist; schismatic, apostate, maverick, Inf. young Turk.
modernistic, adj. 1. modern, contemporary, up-to-date, avant-garde. See - modern (defs. 1, 2).
2. original, novel, unique, new, fresh; advanced, progressive, forward-looking; inventive, creative, visionary, seminal, germinal.
modernity, n. modernness, innovation, departure, new departure, neoterism, neologism; novelty, newness, novel idea, Inf. newfangled device or contraption or idea, Inf. new or latest wrinkle, Inf. new slant or twist, SI. new handle, Fr. dernier err, vogue, fashion, modishness, fashionableness, latest fashion or fad, Inf the latest thing, Inf the rage, Inf. the go, Inf. the last word, Inf. what's happening, Inf. the in thing; new look, newest trend, new trend, Inf. trendiness, modernism.
modernize, v. 1. update, make modern, redesign, do over, reshape, reform; renovate, revamp, redo, streamline; refurbish, refresh, rejuvenate, regenerate, bring up to date, Inf. slick up; automate, computerize, mechanize.
2. get up to date, get in the swim or the mainstream, move with the times, Inf. get on the ball. Inf. get with it, Inf. join the twentieth-century, Inf. join the parade.
modest, adj. 1. self-effacing, unassuming, unpre-suming, diffident, free from vanity or from pride; shy, hesitant, reluctant, reticent, reserved, retiring, bashful, demurring, Archaic, verecund, unwilling, timorous, timid, blushing; self-abasing, self-abnegating, self-deprecating.
2. humble, unpretentious, plain, simple, homely, lowly, neat, small, Inf. homey, Inf tidy; presentable, good enough, adequate, satisfactory, all right, SI. OK; better than nothing, acceptable, Inf. not bad, Inf. not half bad; moderate, medium, respectable, passable, tolerable, fair, middling, Inf. fair to middling; so-so, Fr. comme ci comme ga, nothing to brag about, Inf. nothing to write home about.