2. departure, leave-taking, farewell, going, going away, leaving; saying good-by or God-speed, making one's adieus or farewells, valediction; slamming the door behind one, walking out, Inf. scramming, taking off; removal, release, withdrawal, retirement.
3. death, decease, demise, expiration, passing, passing away; end, cessation, termination, exit; going to sleep, going west, crossing the Great Divide; All SI. kicking the bucket, croaking, conking out.
4. branching off, fork, crossroads, breach; divergence, deviation, detachment, divarication, bifurcation; juncture, crisis, crisis point. -adj. 5. farewell, Inf. send-off, departing, valedictory.
6. dying, deathbed, last, final, ending, closing, finishing, concluding; sinking, dropping, crumbling, tottering, toppling; passing, failing, nodding, sleepy; waning, ebbing, fading, withering, flickering, spent,
partisan, n. 1. adherent, devotee, follower, supporter, upholder, backer; champion, rooter, booster, fan, enthusiast, well-wisher; disciple, votary, sectary, believer; party man, party faithful; sympathizer, ally; henchman, hanger-on, heeler. -adj. 2. partial, one-sided, taking sides, ex parte; biased, bigoted, prejudiced, seeing only one side of the picture; narrow, limited, parochial, close-minded, narrow-minded; myopic, short-sighted, near-sighted, wearing blinders or blinkers, unable to see beyond the end of one's nose; restricted, circumscribed, constricted, confined; dogmatic, arbitrary, opinionated, (of politics) hewing to the party line; stiff-necked, stiff, rigid, unbending, dogged.
3. faithful, dedicated, supportive, devoted, sympathetic; true, true-blue, trusty, trusted, trustworthy,
partition, n. 1. division, dividing, Inf. divvying up, subdivision, subdividing; apportionment, admeasurement, measuring off or out; allotment, allocation, assignment; meting out, portioning out, parceling out, dealing out, doling out, rationing out, Inf. dishing out; passing out, handing out, giving out, distribution, distributing, dispensation, dispensing.
2. separation, partitionment, segmentation; disconnection, detachment, disjunction, splitting, scissure; severance, parting, disunion, split, breach, break, rupture.
3. separator, divider, room divider, screen; dividing wall, wall, barrier, fence; brattice, Civ. Eng. bulkhead.
4. part, division, subdivision, section, subsection; portion, area, sector, segment, piece, square; compartment, booth, stall, cell; pigeonhole, cubby, cubbyhole, niche, cranny, nook, recess, corner.
5. (all of a plant or animal structure) dissepiment, Biol, septum, Anat. mediastinum, dividing wall, membrane, Anat. diaphragm. -v. 6. divide into parts, divide up, Inf. divvy up, subdivide, cut up, cut into equal shares, split or split up, separate, segment; apportion, admeasure, measure out or off; allot, allocate, assign; mete out, portion out, parcel out, deal out, dole out, ration out, Inf. dish out; pass out, hand out, give out, distribute, dispense,
partly, adv. in part, partially, partway, somewhat, to some extent, to some degree, to or in some measure; after a fashion, in a way, comparatively, relatively, comparatively or relatively speaking; to a degree, to a point, up to a point or certain point, up to a limit, to a limited extent, within limits; not wholly, not entirely, not completely, incompletely, half, mostly.
partner, n. 1. associate, consociate, colleague, coworker, co-partner, co-aid, SI. pard, U.S. Dial pard-ner; counterpart, special or limited or general partner, silent or secret partner, Obs. copemate or copesmate,