grit, n. 1. dust, powder, dirt, soot; airborne particles, air pollution, particulate matter.
2. mettle, mettlesomeness, spirit, pluck, pluckiness, gameness, nerve, chutzpah, backbone, gumption, heart, stout heart, blood, marrow, Archaic, pith, stamina, toughness, true grit, U.S. Inf. sand, Inf. starch, Inf. spunk, Inf. spunkiness, SI. guts, SI. gutsiness, SI. moxie; courage, courageousness, bravery, valor, valorousness, valiancy, valiance, heroism, prowess; intrepidity, intrepidness, fearlessness, dauntlessness, awelessness, dreadlessness; fortitude, endurance, tenacity, determination, will, will power; firmness, resolution, resoluteness, indomitableness, indomitability, invincibleness, invincibility, unconquerableness; staunchness, stanchness, stalwartness, steadfastness, doughtiness, sturdiness, hardiness, hardihood, bulldog, courage.
3. sand, gravel, pebbles, stones, gritrock, gritstone, Chiefly Brit, shingle, Rare, attritus.
-v. 4. grate, grind, gnash, rasp, scrape, rub, gride; clench, lock, lock together. gritty, adj. 1. sandy, sandlike, sabulous, arenaceous, arenose, arenulous, Obs. arenarious, Obs. are-nate, Obs. arenated; grainy, grained, granular, granulate, granulated; gravelly, pebbly, pebbled, shingly, shingled; dusty, powdery, pulverous, pulverulent.
2. plucky, mettlesome, game, spirited, red-blooded, Inf. spunky; brave, courageous, valiant, valorous, heroic, hero-like, heroical, stout-hearted, lionhearted, ironhearted, great-hearted, high-hearted; intrepid, fearless, dauntless, aweless, dreadless, nervy, SI. gutsy, unafraid, unblenching, unblenched, undaunted, undismayed, unalarmed, unappalled.
3. firm, resolute, determined, staunch, stanch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic, stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; indomitable, invincible, unconquerable, unyielding, unshrinking, unbending, unbowing, unfaltering, unhesitating, unwavering, unswerving, undevi-ating. groan, n. 1. sigh, moan, murmur, mutter, grumble, grunt, grouse, complaint, gripe, SI. bitch; yapping, Inf. yammering, whine, whimper, sob, blubbering, sniveling, sniffling; cry, crying, weeping, wailing, wail, ululation, bleat; bawling, vociferation, howl, yelp; scream, yell, Inf. holler, shout, roar, bellow.
2. creak, squeak, screech, grating, harsh sound.
-v. 3. murmur, mutter, grumble, grunt, grouse, complain, gripe, SI. bitch; yap, Inf. yammer, whine, whimper, sob, blubber, snivel, sniffle; cry, weep, wail.
4. sigh, moan, bemoan, bewail, lament, keen, mourn, grieve; fret, worry over, tear one's hair out, beat one's head against a brick wall.
5. creak, squeak, screech, grate, resound harshly.
6. be overloaded, be overburdened, be weighed down,
be bogged down.
groggy, adj. 1. dazed, stunned, stupefied; stag gered, overpowered, overcome, Inf. bowled over, knocked over, K.O.'d; benumbed, numbed, desensitized, anesthetized; drugged, narcotized, hypnotized, mesmerized, in a stupor, in a trance, deadened; doped, Inf. dopey, sluggish, lethargic, enervated; befuddled, muddled, addled, mystified, puzzled; confused, bewildered, confounded, perplexed, baffled.
2. tired, exhausted, sleepy, dozing, unable to keep one's eyes open. See exhausted (def. 1). groom, n. 1. stableboy, stableman, hostler, ostler, equerry.
2. bridegroom, newly married man, man about to be married; benedict, husband, spouse, consort, partner, better half, mate.
-v. 3. arrange, fix, adjust, do, dress, adorn; put in order, tend, make tidy, tidy up, freshen up, refresh, spruce up; smooth, disentangle, untangle, unsnarl, get the knots out; curry, brush, rub, rub down, clean.