7. dally, flirt, make light with, sow one's wild oats; caress, cuddle, coddle, pet, Sl. canoodle; nuzzle, make love, bill and coo, Inf. spoon, Inf. neck, Inf smooch, Sl. make out.
trace, n. 1. mark, sign, token, indication, remains, vestige; evidence, clue, intimation, key, Inf. lead.
2. touch, hint, suggestion, suspicion, soupfon, inkling; streak, shade, tinge, taint, tincture; dash, trifle, bit, jot, iota.
3. traces footprints, prints, footmarks, footsteps; tracks, imprints, impressions.
4. track, wake, path, tail, train, queue; scent, whiff, spoor, Fr. piste; record, contrail, vapor trail.
5. sketch, drawing, tracing, delineation, rubbing; design, line drawing, cartoon; image, picture, copy, representation, reproduction, portrait; diagram, map, graph.
6. kick over the traces defy, rebel, rise, rise up against, mutiny, disobey; throw off, kick off, thrust off, shuck off; riot, revolt, resist.
-v. 7. follow, track, trail, tail, shadow; course, give chase to, (in India) shikar, ride to hounds; stalk, hunt, chase, go after, Brit, chevy; dog, hound, tread on the heels of, come close on.
8. find out, discover, uncover, unearth, disclose, reveal; ascertain, determine, get, hit; seek out, search out, look for, lay one's hands on; turn up, dig up, root up; detect, come upon or across, run into, Inf. spot.
9. draw, sketch, draft, outline; copy, reproduce, stencil, hatch; delineate, line, block out, rough out, chalk out, Archaic, limn; represent, depict, portray, figure; diagram, map, chart, graph.
track, n. 1. line, railroad track, railway; way, road, roadway, course, strip; path, beaten path, trail, pathway; footpath, footway, walk, sidewalk, bridle path, bicycle path, towpath; byway, crosscut, short cut, by-path; centerstrip, median, mall, island; passage, passageway, alley, aisle, lane.
2. rut, wheel rut, groove, well-worn groove, jog trot; furrow, channel, cutting, cut; gutter, ditch, trench, fosse.
3. line, route, course, tack, way; trajectory, traject, flight path, ambit, orbit; beat, round, walk, itinerary, tour; sea lane, trade route, artery, air lane; loop, lap, turn.
tracks footprints, footmarks. See - trace (def. 3).
5. wake, path, tail, trailer, train. See - trace (def 4).
6. keep track of follow, keep informed of, keep up on, watch, monitor, oversee, keep a record of.
7. off the track astray, adrift, wide of the mark, on the wrong scent, off, afield; wandering, away from the path, lost, at sea; on a tangent, digressing.
-v.8. follow, trail, tail, shadow, pursue. See - trace (def. 7.).
9. traverse, go through, pass through, go across, range; range over, travel over, cover, peregrinate; sweep, scout, patrol, reconnoiter.
track down hunt down, Inf run down, run to earth, look after; nose out, ferret out, mouse, fish out, scour out; worm out, smell out, sniff out.
tract1, n. region, stretch, expanse, area; district, territory, zone, section; plat, lot, plot, patch, parcel, piece of land, site; field, square, quadrant, quarter, yard, close; space, spot, scene, part.
tract2, n. treatise, eassy, disquisition, thesis, dissertation; homily, sermon, lecture, discourse, descant; monograph, article, critique, study; pamphlet, leaflet, booklet, brochure.