getical, vibrant, vital, dynamic; ardent, intense, acute, keen; forceful, strong.
2. industrious, assiduous, diligent, sedulous; enterprising, aggressive, pushing; unflagging, unfailing, untiring, tireless, indefatigable; persistent, persevering, dogged, tenacious; constant, unremitting, steady.
3. laborious, toilsome, toilful, difficult, uphill, tough, hard; heavy, burdensome, hefty, weighty; arduous, straining, exertive, vigorous; tiring, wearisome, tedious; labored, heavy, difficult, strained, forced.
stress, n. 1. emphasis, accent, accentuation, italics, underscoring, underlining; significance, consequence, consideration, moment, import, concern, note, mark; importance, primacy, priority, preeminence, distinction, prestige; value, worth, merit, virtue; weight, gravity, seriousness, solemnity; urgency, imperativeness, exigency, press, pinch, high pressure; affirmation, assurance, averment.
2. Phonetics, accent, accentuation, syllable stress, primary or secondary or tertiary stress, weak stress; attack, delivery, force of utterance.
3. Prosody, ictus, metrical stress, cadence, beat, rhythm; rhythmic pattern, rhythmical emphasis, rhythmical accentuation.
4. strain, straining, tension, tensity, physical tension or pressure; stretch, extension, distensipn, elongation, protraction; pull, draw, haul, tug; force, thrust, push, shove, heave.
5. pain, distress, grief, suffering; stress and strain, rigor, stress of life, vicissitude, care, heat; nervous strain or tension, mental strain or pressure, worry, anxiety; psychological stress, frustration, conflict, trauma; overexertion, overstraining, overstress; stresssfulness, tenseness, tautness.
-v. 6. emphasize, lay stress or emphasis upon, give emphasis to, punctuate, accent; underline, underscore, point up, italicize, call attention to, mark, bring home, press home; feature, spotlight, highlight, play up, give promience to, bring to the fore, bring into relief, Inf. headline; intensify, strengthen, deepen, heighten.
7. insist upon, reassert, reaffirm, repeat; belabor, rub in, harp on, dwell on, hammer away, pound away; dramatize, overemphasize, overstress, overaccentuate, make a mountain out of a molehill, make a big thing out of nothing, make a federal case out of [s.t.].
8. drive, whip, flog, force, run, run into the ground; harass, bull, bulldoze; tire, fatigue, weary, fag; exhaust, enervate, prostrate, bleed white; tax, burden, oppress, press, bear, bear upon; overwork, overtax, overtask, overstrain.
9. tense, stretch; pull, tug, haul; push, shove, heave,
stretch, v. 1. extend, draw out, pull, tense, tauten; lengthen, elongate; widen, broaden; expand, enlarge, increase, amplify, aggrandize; distend, dilate, puff up, blow up, balloon, inflate.
2. offer, proffer, hold out, reach out, reach forth.
3. spread, sweep, range, cover, take in, encompass, span.
4. strain, overstrain, overstretch, overextend, overdraw; tax, overtax, burden, overburden, overwork, overtask, push to the limit, push too far.
5. recline, lie down, sprawl, loll, lounge.
-n. 6. range, reach, compass, extent, scope, sweep, measure, distance, length and breadth.
7. period, term, tenure, spell, run, fit, interval, bout; tour, tour of duty, Inf. hitch.
8. elasticity, resilience, resiliency, tensility, give, snap; extensibility, stretchability, stretchiness, protrusibility. -adj. 9. elastic, resilient, stretchable, extensible, extensile, protrusible.