2. shop, shop around, window-shop, check out, Inf. poke around, SI. nose around.
3. (all of animals) eat, eat from, nibble at, pick at, peck at; graze, pasture, feed, crop, batten.
bruise, v. 1. contuse, injure, hurt, harm, do damage to, damage; discolor, blacken, mar, deface, Inf. mark up, spoil; scratch, scrape, bump, hit; cut, gash, slash, knife, wound; lacerate, mutilate, disfigure, maul, mangle, maim.
2. (all of drugs or food) crush, beat, pound, grind,
-n. 3. contusion, black-and-blue mark, discoloration, spot, mark; blemish, blotch, SI. hickey, disfigurement, scar; injury, hurt, bump, lump; scratch, scrape, abrasion, cut, SI. boo-boo; rip, tear, slit, slash, gash, laceration, wound, mutilation,
brunette, adj. dark, dark-colored, darkish, swarthy, melanous, brown, brownish, browny; olive-skinned, brown-skinned, dark-skinned, dark-complexioned; dark-haired, brown-haired, black-haired, blackskinned, Ethnol. melanic.
brunt, n. shock, concussion, force, full force, violence, impact, percussion; strain, stress, pressure; effects, repercussions, consequences, results.
brush1, n. 1. broom, besom, whisk, whiskbroom; scrubber, scrub brush; hair brush.
2. encounter, engagement, action, skirmish, clash. See - battle (def. 1).
-v. 3. sweep, sweep up, broom, whisk; tend, groom, curry, rub down.
4. touch, graze, kiss, glance off; lick, scrape, skim.
5. brush aside disregard, ignore, dismiss, shrug off, have no time for, think no more of, forget about.
6. brush up on read up on, get up on; review, study, Inf. cram, SI. bone up.
brush2, n. 1. thicket, scrub, wood, grove, copse, brushwood, Brit, bracken; undergrowth, underwood, underbrush, boscage, copsewood.
2. hinterland, backwoods, back country, up-country, the bush, Australian, outback, Inf. the sticks, Inf. the boondocks.
brusque, adj. abrupt, curt, blunt, short, hasty, rough; frank, forward, unreserved, plain-spoken, candid, downright, unvarnished, outspoken; bluff, burly, brash; harsh, stern, austere; sharp, keen, trenchant, acrimonious, caustic, virulent, stringent, brutal, cruel; churlish, bearish; rude, uncivil, unceremonious, ungracious, discourteous, impolite, unmannerly,
brutal, adj. 1. pitiless, merciless, heartless, unkind, inhumane; unfeeling, uncompassionate, unsympathetic; cruel, hard-hearted, stony-hearted, marble-hearted, cold-blooded; cold, callous, insensitive, hardened, obdurate.
2. inhuman, barbarous, barbaric, savage, hellish, Tartarian, Hunnish, Vandalic; brutish, murderous, slaughterous, bloodthirsty; sadistic, bestial, beastly, animalistic, cannibalistic, fiendish, ghoulish, ogreish, Obs. belluine; diabolical, satanic, demonic, demoniac, devilish; terrible, harsh, grim, hard, severe; ferocious, ruthless, vicious, fell, truculent; wolfish, lupine, fierce, feral, ferine; tyrannical, Draconian, inquisitorial, oppressive; unrelenting, relentless, remorseless, implacable, inexorable, grinding.
3. gross, rude, coarse, vulgar, rough; gruff, bearish, boorish, crass, rustic, ill-bred, churlish, clodhopping, Archaic, carlish; loutish, doltish, cloddish, oafish; uncivil, unrefined, uncouth, inurbane, unpolished; uncultivated, unmannered, ungentlemanly, ungentle, un-courtly, inelegant, indelicate.
4. irrational, unthinking, unintelligent, unreasoning, uncomprehending; mindless, insensible, senseless,