housewife, n. homemaker, hausfrau, housekeeper, home economist, family manager, SI. chief cook and bottle washer; wife, mate, consort, Inf. better half,
housing, n. 1. shelter, protection, covering; abode, dwelling, house, home, roof; domicile, lodgment, lodging, quarters, Chiefly Brit. Inf. diggings or digs; stopping place, stopover; accommodations, residence, habitation.
2. provision of housing, quartering, boarding, billeting, harboring, accommodation.
3. container, shield, box, case, cask, capsule; enclosure, encasement, jacket, wrapper, envelope, sheath.
hovel, n. 1. hole, hole in the ground, dump, sty, pigsty, pigpen, tumbledown shack, wretched hut; hut, hutch, shack, shanty, Brit, bothy; cottage, cot, bungalow, bower, cabin, Brit. Dial, cote, Scot. but-and-ben. 2. shed, open shed, tool shed, work shed, crib; coop, chicken coop, cattle shed; pen, corral, enclosure,
hover, v. 1. hang suspended, hang over, ride in the air, hang in the air; fly, be wafted, float.
2. wait nearby, linger near, stay near, stand guard, protect; impend, threaten, menace, loom.
3. waver, fluctuate, alternate, oscillate, vary, seesaw,
how, adv. 1. (used interrogatively) in what way, in what manner, by what means, by virtue of what, by what, whereby; to what extent, to what degree; in what state, in what condition, in what shape.
2. (used interrogatively) why, for what reason, Inf. how come, for what, wherefore, for what purpose, on what account; to what effect, with what meaning, in what context, in what light, by what standard.
3. and how Informal, certainly, absolutely, positively, surely, of course, Inf. you bet, Inf. you're not kidding. -conj. 4. the manner, the method, the way, the way in which, the means, the mode.
5. in whatever manner, in whatever way, however,
however, adv. 1. nevertheless, howbeit, anyway, anyhow, regardless, in spite of the fact, despite the fact, notwithstanding; no matter what, all or just the same, at any rate, in any case, in any event, at all events; but, still, yet, even so; on the other hand, at the same time; although, albeit, even if, even though.
2. howsoever, to whatever extent, to whatever degree; no matter how, anywise, in any way or respect, in any manner, by any means.
3. (used interrogatively) how, in what manner, in what way, by what means, how under the circumstances.
-conj. 4. in whatever way or manner, in whatever state, in whatever condition.
howl, v. 1. yowl, ululate, bark, bay; cry or cry out, wail, bawl; caterwaul, screech, shriek, scream; yell, shout, Inf. holler, bellow, roar.
2. Informal, laugh loudly, roar with laughter.
-n. 3. howling, yowl, yowling, ululation, bark, barking, baying; cry, crying, wail, wailing, bawling; caterwauling, screech, screeching, shriek, shrieking, scream, screaming; yell, yelling, shout, shouting, Inf. holler, Inf. hollering, bellow, bellowing, roar, roaring,
hoyden, n. 1. tomboy, romp, rowdy, termagant, Inf. roughneck, U.S. tough; whippersnapper, wench, hussy.
-adj. 2. tomboyish, boyish, rough and tumble, rompish; boisterous, rambunctious, rowdy, unruly, wild; mischievous, troublesome, ill-behaved, hoyden-ish; unladylike, ill-bred, ill-mannered, ungenteel, rude; impudent, pert, saucy, fresh, cheeky, smart-alec, smart-alecky, minxish.
hub, n. 1. nave, pivot, axis, Biol, centrosome.