4. characteristic, trait, quality, property, attribute, part; feature, distinction, mark, earmark, hallmark, specialty, stamp, lineament; badge, indicator, indication, erraticism, mannerism, affectation, idiasm, twitch, tic; style, form, idiom, mode, cast, vein; habit, propensity, tendency, predisposition, inclination, proclivity, proneness, leaning, twist, bent, warp, set, turn; disposition, attitude, mettle, temper, temperament. pecuniary, adj. monetary, money, fiscal, financial, nummary, nummular, bread-and-butter. pedagogic, adj. 1. educational, educatory, instructional, teaching, preceptorial, tutorial; academic, academical, scholastic; professorial, instructorial, school-teacherish; methodological, disciplinary.
2. pedantic, pedagoguish. See pedantic (defs. 1-6).
pedagogism, n. pedantry, pedagogery. See pedantry
pedagogue, n. 1. educator, educationist, Educ. methodologist, teacher, schoolteacher; professor, doctor, master, tutor, fellow, Brit, don, instructor, preceptor, lector, lecturer, docent; schoolman, scholastic, academician, academe, gownsman.
2. pedant, Inf. know-it-all; precisionist, perfectionist. See pedant (defs. 1,2). pedagogy, n. 1. teaching, instruction, education, tutelage, tuition; guidance, direction, training, discipline; coaching, preparation, preparing; indoctrination, inculcation, instillment.
2. instructional methods, teaching methods, didactics, pedagogics; educational psychology, science of learning. peaant, n. 1. intellectual, pedagogue, Inf. know-it-all; bibliophile, bookworm, scholar, highbrow, Inf. egghead, Inf walking encyclopedia; aesthete, Inf. longhair, bluestocking; platitudinizer, Inf. bromide, bore, stuffed shirt; attitudinarian, attitudinizer, phi-losophaster, philosophe, moralizer.
2. precisionist, perfectionist; pettifogger, hairsplit-ter, quibbler, Inf. nitpicker; casuist, Logic, parologist, sophist, scholastic, subtilizer; caviler, faultfinder, prig; formalist, literalist, precisian, dogmatist, conformist, conventionalist, philistine.
3. doctrinaire, impractical theorist, ivory-tower dreamer, ideologist, visionary. pedantic, adj. 1. (all in reference to one's learning) pretentious, show-offish, ostentatious, pompous, haughty, vain, conceited; pedagoguish, scholastic, pe-dantical; professorial, didactic, preachy; dogmatic, pragmatic, opinionated, bigoted.
2. punctilious, precise, exact; overscrupulous, scrupulous, perfectionist, overconscientious, conscientious, meticulous; fastidious, fussy, finicky, finical, overparticular, particular; overcritical, hypercritical, priggish, schoolmarmish, faultfinding, caviling, quibbling, hairsplitting, pettifogging, Inf. nitpicking.
3. formal, stilted, stiff; bookish, donnish, stuffy, dry; rigid, narrow, hidebound; platitudinous, unimaginative, unoriginal, uninteresting; boring, dull, tedious, tiresome.
4. unrealistic, impractical, ivory-towered, ivory-tow-erish; utopian, visionary, starry-eyed, quixotic, chimerical; irrelevant, nongermane, immaterial, useless.
5. sonorous, rhetorical, bombastic, euphuistic, grandiloquent, high-flown; wordy, verbose, turgid, prolix.
6. studious, scholarly, erudite, learned, academic.