24. make merry celebrate, feast, banquet, junket, carouse, revel; Inf party, Inf. live it up, SI. paint the town red, do the town, have one's fling, sow one's wild oats; sport, disport, amuse oneself, play pranks; gambol, frolic, caper, romp, frisk.
25. make much of a. amplify, magnify, exaggerate, hyperbolize, overstate, make the most of; embroider, heighten, color; accentuate, emphasize, stress; make a stir about, make a big deal out of, make much ado about, make a mountain out of a molehill,
b. cherish, dote on, pamper, cocker, coddle, cosset, indulge, pet, humor; flatter, blandish, cajole, Inf. soft-soap, Inf. butter up.
26. make off run away or off, flee, take to one's heels, make a quick exit, Inf. take off, Inf clear out, Inf. make tracks, Inf. cut out, Inf. cut and run, Inf. fly the coup, SI. split, SI. scram, SI. hightail it; make a getaway, beat a retreat or a hasty retreat, Inf. beat it, Inf. skip out, Inf. skip town, Inf. skedaddle, SI. skidoodle, SI. skido, SI. vamoose.
27. make off with carry off, steal, filch, rob, pilfer, make away with. See - make (def 16).
28. make out a. write out, complete, fill out.
b. establish, prove, show to be true, substantiate, evidence, support, back up; authenticate, validate, certify, confirm, verify; attest to, affirm, corroborate, aver.
c. discern, see, behold, perceive, cognize; observe, notice, catch a glimpse of, espy, descry, detect, discover; decipher, figure out, ascertain, determine; distinguish, pick out, recognize,
d. imply, suggest, insinuate, hint, intimate, indicate, impute,
e. Informal. manage, get along or by, scrape along or by, survive, fare, eke out, make do; fare well, succeed, prosper, thrive, come through with flying colors,
f. Slang, kiss, neck, pet, fondle; romance, Inf. spoon.
29. make over a. alter, remodel, redo, redecorate; amend, improve, better, ameliorate; touch up, brush up, brighten up, polish; correct, emend, rectify, restore, repair
b, transfer, convey, Law. alienate, transmit, assign; sign over, turn over, bequeath, leave, pass down, hand down.
30. make sport of make light of, laugh at, scoff at, ridicule, guy, Inf. roast, make a fool of, jeer at, gibe at, mock, fleer, deride, parody, travesty, burlesque, make game of; play with, toy with, trifle with, make fun of, poke fun at; tease, Inf. kid, badinage, chaff, pull [s.o.'s] leg, Inf. josh, Inf. rib, Inf. rag, Inf fun, SI. put [s.o.] on, SI. jive.
31. make up a. constitute, form, compose,
weave, fabricate, construct, frame; put together, compile.
b. concoct, brew, invent, hatch, coin, forge; devise, contrive, project,
make up for compensate for, offset, recompense, make good. See - make (def 21a). d. complete, finish; conclude, settle, decide,
e. settle differences, reconcile, come to terms, come to an understanding, bury the hatchet,
f. powder, rouge, use mascara, use eyeshadow, put on lipstick.
32. make up to a. Informal, fawn on, SI. fall all
over, truckle to, toady to, SI. play up to, SI. shine up to, Inf. be a yes man to, Inf apple-polish, Inf. butter up.
b. make advances, flirt with, make eyes at, cast sheep's eyes at, make calf eyes at.
33. make water urinate, SI. pee.
34. make way allow to pass; clear the way, make a
space for, make room for.
35. form, build, construction, structure,
shape, configuration; composition, make-up, fabric, texture.
36. kind, brand, sort, type; mark, stamp, label,
trademark; quality, grade, class.
37. character, nature, disposition, temper, tempera-