benediction, n. blessing, anointing, sign of the cross, Archaic, benison; prayer, invocation, grace, orison, benefaction, n. 1. good deed, good turn, favor, service, kindness, courtesy; bounty, generosity, charity, liberality, almsgiving; philanthropy, beneficence, benevolence, munificence, benignancy; patronage, countenance, championship; presentation, conferral, conferment, bestowment, endowment, dispensation, consignment.
2. present, gift, bestowal, largesse; gratuity, dole, Fr. pourboire, douceur, tip; bonus, prize, award; donation, alms, contribution, offering, offertory, oblation; benefit, boon, blessing, benediction; aid, assistance, help, succor; relief, comfort, solace; grant, subvention, honorarium, subsidy; devise, bequest, bequeath-ment, legacy. benefactor, n. patron, helper, well-wisher, sympathizer, friend; philanthropist, supporter, backer, angel, benefice, n. 1. sinecure, office, preferment; rector-ate, Brit, rectory, pastorate, pastorship; presbyterate, curacy, priorate, abbacy, chaplaincy, chaplainship, vicarate, vicarage, vicariage; bishopric, see, episcopate, archbishopric, primacy, cardinalate; provost-ship, deanery, professorship, lectureship.
2. stipend, prebend, emolument, revenue, beneficence, n. 1. kindness, goodness, graciousness, chivalry; humanitarianism, humaneness, humanity, love; altruism, unselfishness, consideration, considerateness; grace, mercy, pity, sympathy, forbearance; magnanimity, good will, brotherly love; generosity, charity, charitableness, bounty, liberality, almsgiving; philanthropy, benevolence, munificence, benignancy. 2. present, gift, bestowal, largesse, benefaction; donation, alms, contribution, offering, offertory, oblation; benefit, boon, blessing, benediction; aid, assistance, help, succor; relief, comfort, solace, beneficial, adj. 1. advantageous, helpful, serviceable, availing, valuable; favorable, propitious, auspicious, promising, benign; suitable, convenient, commodious, contributive, contributory, conducive; aidful, aiding, obliging, accommodative, accommodating, helping; profitable, gainful, rewarding, remunerative; lucrative, paying, moneymaking.
2. salutary, wholesome, efficacious, salubrious, salu-tiferous; healthful, healthy, nutritious, nourishing, Inf. good for; curative, healing, sanative, restorative; bracing, strengthening, invigorating, tonic; edifying, uplifting, improving; soothing, relieving, anodyne, comforting, calming, quieting, balsamic, benefit, n. 1. advantage, behoof, interest, good; well-being, Archaic, weal, welfare; betterment, improvement, furtherance, advancement, promotion; gain, profit, help, aid, service; avail, efficacy, use, usefulness, serviceableness.
2. Usu. benefits perquisites, Inf. perks, fringe benefits, Inf. fringes, Inf. extras; insurance, pension, vacation, paid holidays, sick days, earned days, personal days.
-v. 3. do good to, be of service to, avail, bestead, serve, profit; get, aid, assist, help, advance, advantage; contribute to, improve, better, further, promote, benevolence, n. 1. kindness, goodness, graciousness, humanitarianism, humanity, love; tenderness, compassion, clemency, kindliness. See beneficence (def 1).
2. present, gift, largesse; contribution, donation. See beneficence (def. 2). benevolent, adj. 1. kind, good, good-hearted, warm-hearted, humane, loving; altruistic, unselfish, considerate, thoughtful; kindly, kind-hearted, beneficent, benign, benignant; generous, charitable, bounteous, liberal, open-handed; magnanimous, philanthropic, big, humanitarian, munificent, big-hearted; merciful, pitying, ruthful, soft-hearted, compassionate, tender, gentle; clement, lenient, temperate, mild; fatherly, motherly, paternal, maternal, brotherly, sisterly; neighborly, friendly, amicable, amiable, cordial, gracious, chivalric, chivalrous; understanding, broadminded, sympathetic, forbearant, tender-hearted; accommodating, accommodative, obliging, indulgent, well-meaning; helpful, helping, aiding, aidful.