5. inexcitable, imperturbable, equanimous, self-possessed, self-controlled, self-restrained, restrained, controlled, in control; stable, untroubled, collected, coolheaded, poised, Inf. cool as a cucumber; Inf. calm, cool, and collected; Inf. unflappable, nerveless; unruffled, even-tempered, calm, composed, placid, tranquil, serene, sedate, staid, sober, sober-minded, stoic, stoical, philosophical; at peace, at peace with oneself, at peace with the world, resigned.
6. detached, unprejudiced, unopinionated, undog-matic, open-minded, reasonable; impartial, impersonal, disinterested, unbiased, neutral, noncommitted, uncommitted, noninvolved, uninvolved, neither hot nor cold, nonpartisan.
passive, adj. 1. unresponsive, undemonstrative, unemotional, dispassionate, stoic, philosophic, philosophical; impassive, unmoved, stolid, bovine; imperturbable, unprovokable; unperturbed, unagitated, unaffected, untouched, cool.
2. nonparticipating, uninvolved, uninterested, indifferent, unconcerned, apathetic, neutral; lazy, indolent, otiose, dronish, parasitic, faineant; languid, languorous, listless, feeble, weak, faint; sluggish, lymphatic, phlegmatic, torpid, torpescent, comatose; lethargic, hebetudinous, heavy, leaden, dull.
3. inactive, lifeless, zestless, insipid, bland; quiet, still, idle, recumbent, supine, inert; quiescent, peaceful, pacific, calm, tranquil, serene, placid, reposeful, restful; motionless, unmoving, static, suspended, abeyant, stagnating, stagnant.
4. nonresisting, nonresistant, unresisting, unoppos-ing, submissive; yielding, acquiescent, compliant, pliant; obedient, docile, tractable, conformable, biddable; malleable, pliable, influenceable, flexible, irresolute; unassertive, unasserting, obliging, agreeable, amenable, complaisant; subdued, meek, humble, lamblike, gentle, tame; deferential, servile, obsequious, toadyish.
5. tolerant, tolerating, forbearing, patient; accepting, receptive, resigned; long-suffering, enduring, en-durant.
6. dormant, latent, dormient, sleeping; unexpressed, undisclosed, unrevealed, undemonstrated, implicit; potential, unrealized; internal, interior.
passiveness, passivity, n. 1. unresponsiveness, undemonstrativeness, dispassion, stoicism, philosophicalness; impassiveness, impassivity, stolidity, stolidness, bovinity; imperturbability, unprovokability; cool, coolness, composure.
2. inactivity, nonparticipation, indifference, apathy; unconcern, uninterestedness; disinterest, dispassionateness, objectivity, neutrality; inaction, nonintervention, noninterference, laissez faire.
3. nonresistance, acceptance, submission; yielding, acquiescence, compliance, resignation, resignedness; tolerance, toleration, forbearance, patience; endurance, sufferance, long-suffering, longanimity.
4. submissiveness, docility, unassertiveness, meekness, humbleness, humility, gentleness, tameness; deference, servility, servileness, obsequiousness, toadyism.
5. obedience, tractability, tractableness, conforma-bility, conformableness, biddability, biddableness; malleability, malleableness, pliability, pliableness, flexibility; obligingness, agreeability, agreeableness, amenability, amenableness, complaisance.
6. languor, lassitude, listlessness, feebleness, weakness, faintness; laziness, indolence, idleness, otioseness, otiosity, supineness; sluggishness, phlegm, lethargy, hebetude, heaviness, dullness, torpor, inertia.