by, tubby, pudgy, chunky, Brit, podgy, plump; paunchy, potbellied, Obs. gorbellied; bouncing, well-fed, ample, filled-out; meaty, beefy, brawny, strapping, Brit. Inf. chopping; bosomy, Inf. top-heavy, buxom, flexibility, n. 1. pliability, pliancy, flexility, bend-ability; suppleness, litheness, softness, limberness, lissomness; malleability, plasticity, tractility, ductility, flaccidity; elasticity, stretch, stretchability; give, spring, springiness, resilience.
2. adaptability, conformability, adjustableness; tractableness, compliancy, compliance; docility, obedience, submissiveness, manageability; willingness, readiness, agreeability. flexible, adj. 1. bendable, pliable, pliant, flexile, snappy, whippy; tractile, ductile, malleable, plastic, mollescent, flaccid; elastic, springy, resilient, stretchable, extensile, tensile; supple, limber, lithe, lissome, double-jointed, loose-limbed.
2. adaptable, conformable, adjustable, malleable; tractable, compliant, cooperative, docile, biddable, obedient, submissive; manageable, easy, facile, mild, complaisant, affable.
3. willing, yielding, ready; amenable, agreeable, acquiescent, receptive, predisposed. flexure, n. 1. bending, flexing, curving, incurvation, sinuosity, Anat. flexion.
2. bend, crook, hook, elbow, horseshoe; arcuation, bow, arc, crescent, meniscus, lunula; turn, curvature, sweep, curve; fold, loop, festoon, curl, twist, flick, n. 1. snap, flip, fillip, tap, click.
-v. 2. flutter, bat, flicker, flap, wag, waggle,
whip, switch. flicker, v. 1. twinkle, sparkle, glimmer, blink, shimmer; glint, glitter, glisten, Archaic, glister, burn unsteadily; spark, scintillate, flame, flare or flare up; flash, fulgurate, gleam, streak, glare, coruscate; glow, shine, luminesce, incandesce, phosphoresce.
2. waver, sway, wave to and fro; quiver, shiver, ripple; oscillate, fluctuate, vacillate; quaver, shake, quake, tremble, twitter, shudder; undulate, vibrate, pulsate, throb; jerk, twitch, vellicate, jump.
3. flutter, hover, flit, flirt, dance; glint, flash, whisk, skin; glide, wing, fly; dart, dartle, move quickly.
-n. 4. flame, spark, scintilla, scintillation, un steady or tremulous light; shimmer, shimmering, glimmer, glimmering, flickering, blink, glitter, glittering, glint, glinting; twinkle, twinkling, sparkle, sparkling, glistening, Archaic, glistering; flash, fulguration, gleam, gleaming, glare, coruscation; glow, incandescence, brilliance, refulgence, radiance; luminosity, luminance, phosphorescence, refulgence; shine, sheen, gloss, luster.
5. glimmering, inkling, glint; trace, vestige, scintilla; indication, evidence, impression; brief occurrence or appearance, apparition; emergence, rise, coming, advent; happening, incident, incidence, circumstance, situation, event. flier, flyer, n. 1. aviator, airman, air pilot, aeronaut, airplaner, aeroplaner, pilot, Sl. flyboy, Inf. barnstormer; ace, fighter pilot; aviatrix, aviatress, airwoman.
2. speeder, thunderbolt, flash, rocket, cannonball, streak, Inf. blue-streak; All Inf. scorcher, hummer, sizzler, hustler, goer, hell-driver, speed demon, speed maniac, speed merchant; express, express train, lightning express, Inf. cannonball express.
3. Informal, standing or running or flying leap or jump; leap, jump, vault; lunge, spring, pounce.
4. Informal. (all of business ventures) experiment, speculation, venture, feeler; random shot, leap or shot in the dark, Sl. plunge; risk, hazard, gamble, chance.