13. cut loose a. leave, quit, depart, become free or independent, cut the knot or apron strings, SI. split,
b. celebrate, carry on, blow or let off steam, abandon restraint, let go, let one's hair down, Inf. cut up, Inf. fool or horse around, Inf. raise Cain, Inf. have a good time, Inf. raise the dead, Inf. cut capers, SI. go hog-wild.
14. let loose emit, break out, burst out with, give out with, shout, yell, give a whoop, Inf hoot and holler; sing, bellow, explode.
-v. 15. free, release, let go, set at liberty; liberate, emancipate, manumit; let loose, set loose, turn loose.
16. loosen, untie, unbind, unfetter, unshackle, unchain; disengage, disencumber, disentangle, extricate; undo, unpin, let fall; unhook, unclasp, unbuckle, unbutton, unsnap; unlace, unstrap, unscrew, unstick, unglue; unfasten, unfix.
17. relax, moderate, mellow, make less strict, slacken, ease, soften; mitigate, extenuate, ameliorate, attenuate, weaken; reduce, diminish, lessen.
18. shoot, discharge, fire off, eject; catapult, hurl, throw out, project.
loosen, v. 1. slacken, slack, untighten, relieve tension, Obs. slake; relax, ease up or off.
2. remit, mitigate, assuage, allay, relieve, alleviate, palliate; mollify, moderate, modify, temper, subdue, chasten, soften, weaken, tone down; abate, reduce, diminish, lessen, lighten, attenuate, wane; decrease, decline, subside, recede, ebb, lull; yield, submit, give in.
3. unfasten, unhook, undo, unfix, detach; disengage, disunite, disjoin, disconnect, unpin, unstick, unglue; separate, part, divide, sunder, sever, break apart.
4. unbind, untie, unfetter, unshackle, unchain, unhandcuff, unbridle, unyoke, unmuzzle, Archaic, untruss; release, loose, disenthrall, extricate, free, liberate; set free, set loose, let loose, turn loose, let go, unpen, unmew, disimprison; emancipate, manumit, enfranchise, affranchise, franchise; deliver, rescue, ransom, redeem, Theol. save.
5. disperse, scatter, dispel, dissipate, break up, disintegrate, disseminate, spread out.
looseness, n. 1. slackness, laxity, laxness, carelessness, heedlessness, mindlessness, inattention; relaxation, loosening, offhandedness, casualness, easiness, indifference, nonconcern, insouciance; neglect, negligence, remissness, dereliction, unrigorousness, noninterference, laissez faire, nonrestriction; nonobservance, unwariness, disregard, unmindfulness.
2. inaccuracy, inexactness, inexactitude, unpreciseness, imprecision; vagueness, indefiniteness, broadness, generality, amorphousness, Si. blobbiness, inchoateness; disorder, chaos, anarchy; informality, informalness, relaxedness, nonchalance, casualness, ata-raxia; indifference, perfunctoriness; slovenliness, Inf. sloppiness, Inf. messiness, Inf. haphazardness; shakiness, ricketiness.
3. tolerance, allowance, lenity, leniency, indulgence, permissiveness, detachment, disinterestedness, unstrictness, unrestraint, weakness.
4. license, wildness, fastness, dissoluteness, abandon, licentiousness, libertinism, dissipation, debauchery, unchasteness, indecency, incontinence, intemperance; wantonness, promiscuity, waywardness, loose morals, easy virtue, whorishness, Inf. sleeping around, Inf. swinging.
5. flaccidity, flaccidness, laxation, flabbiness, SI. blubberiness; give, suppleness, litheness, limberness, floppiness.
loot, n. 1. booty, Archaic, boot, spoil, spoils, plunder, pillage, Archaic, prey, Scot. Obs. reif; stolen goods, Inf. steal, SI. hot goods, SI. boodle, SI. the take, Si. the goods, Si. swag.