cExams.net
Test # 32


1.
Coffee : Beverages

Login/Register to access massive collection of FREE questions and answers.
Login/Register

Verbal Reasoning
Quiz Index
1940 questions in 194 tests. Each test contains 10 questions.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
136
137
138
139
140
141
142
143
144
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
161
162
163
164
165
166
167
168
169
170
171
172
173
174
175
176
177
178
179
180
181
182
183
184
185
186
187
188
189
190
191
192
193
194

Word of the Day

  • Benefits of Iceberg lettuce
  • Exotic Sports Cars
  • Best Tourist Spots in the World
  • Munshi Premchand
  • Dussehra Celebration
  • Valentines Day Party Idea

  • World Architecture

    Florence Cathedral dome

    Florence, Italy
    The dome of the cathedral church of Santa Maria del Fiore St. Mary of the Flowers in Florence, Italy, was designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi 1377 1446 in the beginning of the fifteenth century. Towering over the immediately surrounding buildings and still visible, almost 600 years later, from any part of the city, it is one of Europes greatest architectural and engineering achievementsa masterpiece of structural ingenuity. Brunelleschis dome completed the building, which had been started in September 1296 by the architect Arnolfo di Cambio. Arnolfos original design, which included a much lower cupola, went through many changes, although it is probable that his general plan was retained. Work ceased when he died in 1310, and did not resume until 1331, when the powerful Wool Merchants Guild assumed responsibility for construction. In 1334, simply because he wasa very great man, the painter Giotto di Bondone was appointed capomaestro to Florence Cathedral, and he designed the freestanding 278-foot 85-meter bell tower near the southwestern corner of the church. Not finished until two years after his death in 1337, the characteristically Florentine building is facedas is the church itselfwith geometric patterns of red Siena, green Prato, and white Carrara marbles. It was later enriched with relief panels by Luca della Robbia and Andrea Pisano. The cathedral was beleaguered by further delays caused by political intrigue, a capricious economy, and not least, in 1348, an outbreak of plague that halved the citys population. The following year Francesco Talenti was appointed to oversee the work. Apart from completing the bell tower, he continually revised the design, working in conjunction with Giovanni di Lapo. Talentisfinal scheme evolved by 1366 1367: the nave, flanked by single aisles, was articulated in four square bays leading to an octagonal sanctuary, from which four chapels radiated. Construction work was well in hand by 1370 the nave vaults were finished in 1378 and the aisles a year later. Important in Talentis design was a huge octagonal dome over the sanctuary, and construction of its drum had been commenced. In 1417 a committee, the Opera del Duomo, was charged with the monumental task of building the dome. In 1418 Brunelleschi, who had been recently engaged in bridge building in Pisa, was commissioned to act as adviser. But soon after that the project again lapsed. The dome presented a seemingly impossible problem for the builders because not only did it have to span 135 feet 41.5 meters, but it also had to begin nearly 180 feet 55 meters above the floor. Nothing of the kind or size had been built since the Roman Pantheon about 1,300 years earlier. A competition was announced, and at a March 1419 meeting, solutions were offered by invited master masons from Italy, France, Germany, and England. None was satisfactory. It was impossible to construct scaffolding to support traditional centering at such a height. Supporting permanent masonry piers were out of the question because they would clutter the sanctuary, blocking the view to the high altar and defeating the purpose of the cathedral. Someone even suggested that the sanctuary should be filled with a mixture of earth and coins to enable the erection of scaffolding then, when the dome was complete, the citizens of Florence could remove the soil as they dug for the buried treasure. Brunelleschi asserted that he could build the dome without confronting any of these problems. At first, the committee was skeptical, and when he excitedly defended his position, he was forcibly removed from their meeting. Given another chance to present his proposal, he was reluctant to reveal details. His biographer Giorgio Vasari recounts a delightful anecdote: producing an egg and a thin marble slab, Brunelleschi challenged anyone there to balance the egg on the slab. No one could, and the items were returned to Filippo. He cracked the egg, and stood it upright. To the protestWe could have done that! he replied,Thats what you will say if I tell you how I will build the dome! He was given the commission. What qualified this sculptor, who trained as a goldsmith, studied science and mathematics, and dabbled in clock making, engineering, and architecture, to confidently undertake such a daunting project? It has been suggested that, because his father was closely connected with the management of the cathedral, Filippo had known of the problem of the dome since 1402, making his first designs as early as 1409. In the intervening years he had studied classical architecture in Rome, developing his own theory of architecture from about 1410. When his model of the dome was accepted in 1418, Brunelleschi returned to Rome to investigate ancient structures, including the Pantheon. Back in Florence a year later, he built a smaller version of the dome in the Ridolfi chapel in San Jacopo sopr Arno since destroyed, perhaps to convince his doubters, perhaps himself. He would repeat the process six years later in a chapel built for Bartolommeo Barbardori in the church of Santa Felicita. Also in 1419, Filippo reluctantly accepted the appointment of his old rival, the sculptor Lorenzo Ghiberti, as coarchitect of the dome. Work began in 1420, and the project occupied Filippo for the rest of his life. Ghibertis incompetence was soon exposed not without Brunelleschis connivance, and in 1423 Filippo was given complete charge. Besides his genius for design, his success was ensured by his management of the construction site. He personally undertook the quality control of materials he designed the plant needed to efficiently raise those materialsall 27,000 tons 24,500 tonnesto the dome he resolved industrial unrest by convincing the workers of his own capabilities he communicated with the masons by modeling details in clay, wood, wax, and even carved turnips he ensured good working relationships and he increased productivity by providingvendors of wine and bread and cooks in the heights of the dome. Strictly speaking, Filippos dome is no dome at all, but a double-shell cupola formed by completely self-supporting rings of diminished diameter, built ofherringbone brickwork originally stone was intended but was soon abandoned because of the weight, and stiffened by a frame of eight steeply pointed arches built on centering supported from the drum. Between these ribs, Brunelleschi and his eight assistantsthe masters of the trowelconstructed a double vault, on which a movable light shuttering supported the brickwork during construction. The finished structure was light, strong, and extremely stable. To ensure against spreading, Brunelleschi tied the bottom of the cupola with a massive chain of ironbound oak. Several reasons may be suggested for its hybridized structure. First, Brunelleschi was, quite naturally, unable to divorce himself from medieval precedent second, while he showed great inventiveness, he did not fully understand the structural issues involved and therefore, third, he took measures to ensure the stability of the dome. Fourth, he may have included the ribs simply to convince his clients that it was stable.Shrewd is how Vasari described him. The dome was not a Renaissance building. It did not even herald the Renaissance. It drew upon Brunelleschis study of ancient techniques from both East and West, principally upon the engineering practice of the Middle Ages. In ingenuity it surpassed them all. The cupola was completed in 1434. Two years later the huge lantern was placed, and the cathedral was consecrated by Pope Eugene IV on 25 March 1436. The four hemidomed tribunes were completed in 1438. The decorations to the lantern were finished by 1446, when Brunelleschi was dying, and the great copper sphere crowned it all in 1474.


    Chourishi Systems