2. ominous, portentous, foreboding, bodeful, ill-boding, boding, evil; ill-omened, of evil portent; inauspicious, unpropitious, unfavorable, unpromising, unfortunate, unlucky, ill-fated, ill-starred, star-crossed, doomed from the start. prophylactic, adj. 1. preventive, preventative, protective; sanitary, hygienic.
-n. 2. preventive, preventative, safeguard, guard, shield; counteractant, counteragent, neutralizer, nulli-fier, offset; remedy, antidote; vaccine, serum.
3. contraceptive; condom, sheath, Trademark. Trojan, Sl. rubber, Sl. skin, Sl. raincoat, Sl. French letter. propinquity, n. 1. proximity, approximation, vicinity, nearness, closeness, nighness. See proximity
2. kindship, relationship, relation, tie. See proximity (def. 2).
3. rapport, affinity, like-mindedness, oneness, unity; sympathy, empathy, identity, fellow feeling, fellowship; accord, agreement, understanding; compatibility, SI. good vibrations or vibes. propitiate, v. 1. conciliate, appease, accommodate, compromise, adjust; yield, submit, surrender, concede, give in, cave in, accede to demands.
2. placate, pacificate, Archaic, attemper; assuage, mollify, dulcify, soothe, Brit., Australian, dill, Rare. lenify.
3. reconcile, bring to terms, make peace, settle differences, defuse, pour oil on troubled waters, Archaic. accord. propitiation, n. 1. conciliation, placation, appeasement; mollification, dulcification, pacification, peacemaking; compromise, concession, adjustment, accommodation; surrender, yielding, submission, acquiescence, accession.
2. satisfaction, recompense, redress, remuneration; reparation, amends, atonement, sop, pacifier; peace offering, olive branch, peace pipe, calumet, white flag; apology, acknowledgment; confession; penance, contrition, breast-beating. propitiatory, adj. conciliatory, placatory, placative, propitiative, appeasing, pacifying, pacificatory, assuaging; accommodating, obliging, deferential, obeisant; reconciliatory, reconciliating, peacemaking, pacific, pacifical, dovish. propitious, adj. 1. favorable, advantageous, profitable, beneficial, suitable, fit, applicable, conducive; auspicious, promising, benign, reassuring, encouraging; opportune, lucky, timely, fortunate, providential, happy; pleasing, fair, rosy, bonny, looking up.
2. favorably inclined, well-disposed, agreeable, Sl. into it; friendly, sympathetic, congenial, understanding, kind; benevolent, beneficent, gracious; merciful, ruthful, compassionate. proponent, n. advocate, enthusiast, backer, patron, promoter, endorser; upholder, abettor, second, seconder; espouser, adherent, propagator, propagandist, favorer, supporter, sustainer, maintainer; exponent, spokesman, defender, champion, justifier, vindicator; pleader, apologist, friend at court, friend in need, friend, well-wisher, sympathizer, Inf. angel; partisan, sectary, votary, supporter, moral support, proportion, n. 1. relationship, ratio, comparative size or extent, relative importance or significance, relative size or extent; correlation, correspondence, agreement, analogy, commensurateness; conformity, congruity, keeping, consistency; symmetry, ideal distribution, uniformity, parallelism, apposition, harmony, regularity, evenness, euphony, grace; arrangement, distribution, balance, adjustment; contrast, opposition, likenesses and differences, comparison,