smog, n. haze, fog, smaze, gauze, dirty air, dirty fog, brume; pollution, air pollution, particulate,
smoke, n. 1. gas, fume, smog, smaze, Dial, drisk; exhaust, effluvium, pollution; soot, smut, carbon, coke, reek, Brit. Dial. coom.
2. vapor, mist, brume, fog, gauze, film, cloud; smolder, smudge, smooch.
3. cigarette, SI. cig, SI. butt, SI. weed, SI. fag; cigar, stogie, SI. stinker, cheroot.
-v. 4. fume, smolder, steam, vaporize, fog, befog; emit, give off, reek, exhaust, vent, send out.
5. puff, draw, inhale, Inf. drag, pull; exhale, blow, toke, SI. take a hit.
6. fumigate, disinfect, sterilize; perfume, aromatize, cense.
7. cure, dry, smoke-dry.
8. darken, blacken, black; cloud, nubilate, mist, fog, haze; blot, blotch, smear, smirch, smutch, smudge; sully, grime, dim, muddy, dirty, tarnish.
smokestack, n. stack, chimney, smokeshaft; flue, pipe, shaft, stovepipe, tube, funnel,
smoky, adj. 1. hazy, foggy, smoggy, brumous, Archaic. caliginous; grimy, sooty, murky, bleary; smutchy, dirty, dingy, smirched, smutty, blotchy, blackened, begrimed; gray, mat, dim.
2. fumy, fuming, fuliginous, steamy, steaming, smoking, reeky, reeking, miasmal; misty, drizzly, spraylike.
3. cloudy, frosty, filmy, semitransparent, semipel-lucid, opaque, unclear; nebulous, nubilous, shadowy, blurry, blurred.
smolder, v. 1. burn, smoke, fume, reek, sizzle, simmer.
2. seethe, boil, boil over, fire up, reach the boiling point; simmer, stew, foam; rankle, fester, stagnate; chafe, bristle, ftet, rave, rant, bluster, Inf. carry on, burn up, breath^ fire; Inf. steam, Inf. get steamed up, Inf. get hot under the collar, Inf. see red.
smooth, adj. 1. glassy, glossy, polished, varnished, burnished; sleek, silky, satiny, velvet, fine; delicate, filmy, gossamery, attentuated; greasy, buttery, slippery, slick, icy, oily.
2. even, level, plane, horizontal, flush; flat, unrough, unruffled, unwrinkled; jointless, gapless, seamless.
3. clean-shaven, smooth-shaven, bald, hairless, Zool., Bot. glabrous, tonsured, depilated; bare, naked, barren, coverless.
4. easy, facile, plain, simple, effortless, light; uniform, even, regular, steady; constant, stable, consistent, unchanging, unvarying; unvaried, eventless, uneventful, businesslike, monotonous; ceaseless, incessant, unstopped; uninterrupted, unbroken, continuous, unintermittent; flowing, fluent, liquid; rhythmical, harmonious, methodical, orderly, well-ordered, systematic, routine, unaltered.
5. untroubled, unagitated, undisturbed, unperturbed, unruffled, composed, collected, cool; calm, placid, still, quiescent, sedate; serene, pacific, peaceful, reposeful, restful; equable, peaceable, quiet, mild, moderate, gentle, meek; level-headed, poised, self-possessed, even-tenored, even-tempered; inexcitable, unir-ritable, impassive, nonchalant, unworried, unmoved.
6. elegant, polished, refined; graceful, tripping, measured, flowing, fluent; eloquent, pleasing, articulate, well-spoken, silver-tongued, smooth-tongued; glib, facund.
7. pleasant, agreeable, felicitous; polite, courteous, courtly, mannerly, courierly; suave, soignd, sophisticated, urbane, civil.
8. fawning, flattering, blandishing, insinuating; adulatory, honey-tongued, mealymouthed, smarmy, gushing; fulsome, slimy, oily, unctuous; obsequious, sycophantic, toadyish, insincere, Sl. soapy, Inf. soft-soaping.