3. cordiality, warmth, heartiness, earnestness, sincerity, Fr. empressemenf, alacrity, cheer, agreeability, agreeableness, amiability, eagle-eyed, adj. sharp-sighted, quick-sighted, keen-sighted, hawk-eyed, lynx-eyed; all-seeing, far-seeing, all-observant, not missing a thing; clear-sighted, perspicacious, discerning, discriminating, perceptive; insightful, intuitive; keen, acute, wide awake, sharp, sharp as a tack, alert, bright; Arguseyed, watchful, vigilant, on the watch for; on the alert, on the qui vive, on guard, on the lookout; wary, prudent, discreet, ear, n. 1. hearing organ, auditory apparatus, Fr. oreille; internal ear, middle ear, external ear.
2. hearing, sense of hearing, audition.
3. attention, heed, observance, observation, notice, note, regard; heedfulness, attentiveness, concentration, thought, consideration.
early, adv. 1. initially, at the start, early in the
game, Chiefly Brit, early on, Scot. timeously.
2. at daybreak, matutinally, at the break or crack of dawn, with cock's crow, with the birds.
3. prematurely, precociously, too soon; untimely, ahead of time, beforehand, before the appointed time, Brit. Dial, rathe.
4. long ago, in the old days, in bygone days, in the past; remotely, previously, heretofore, erenow, Scot. air; originally, primarily.
-adj. 5. primary, prime, primal, initial, initiative, premier, first, opening, antecedent, Scot. air.
6. premature, precocious, Inf. previous, untimely, early-bird; advanced, anticipatory, eager, precipitate.
7. primeval, pristine, earliest; original, aboriginal, autochthonal, autochthonous; primitive, primordial, primigenial; ancient, antique, antiquated, archaic, ar-chaistic; prehistoric, preglacial, preadamic, antediluvian.
8. timely, Scot. timeous, prompt; immediate, undelayed; expeditious, quick, fast, speedy, rapid, alacri-tous. earmark, n. 1. identifying mark, tag, label, band, crop, brand, trademark, stamp; fold, dog-ear.
2. characteristic, trait, sign, symptom, feature, attribute, property; quality, nature, personality, temperament, character, disposition. See characteristic (def. 2). -v. 3. tag, label, brand, stamp, crop, band, identify; mark, fold, dog-ear.
4. set aside, put away, hold, reserve, keep in reserve, earn, v. 1. gain, acquire, obtain, secure; get, profit, benefit, avail; procure, gather, garner, glean, reap.
2. (all usu. of wages) make, clear, SI. pull down, pocket, bag; gross, net, Inf. take home; make a pretty penny, bring home the bacon, keep the wolf from the door, keep the pot boiling, be the breadwinner.