lin, goblin, bogy, boogeyman, bugbear, bugaboo, specter.
2. fiend, sadist, brute, demon, devil, hellhound; miscreant, malefactor, badman, Brit, bad hat, SI. bad news, SI. bad actor; villain, scoundrel, Iago, SI. rat, blackguard, cad, Inf. heel, SI. no-goodnik, SI. bastard; beast, mad dog, shark, hyena; killer, mad-dog killer, murderer, slayer, cutthroat, manslayer, butcher, slaughterer, Bluebeard; ripper, mauler, Jack the Ripper, bloodspiller, strangler, garoter, thrill killer, homicidal maniac; hatchet man, hit man, bravo, hired gun, gun-slinger, gunman, SI. torpedo, executioner, SI. trigger man, SI. gunsel; exterminator, liquidator, annihilator, mass-killer, mass-murderer, mass-slayer, Hitler, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun.
3. ruffian, rowdy, ugly customer, Inf. plug-ugly, SI. creep, SI. rotter, SI. mug, thug, desperado, SI. tough; bandit, gangster, hoodlum, SI. hood, outlaw, holdup man, highwayman, robber, thief, SI. gonef, Inf crook, racketeer, Inf. mobster; SI. strong-arm man, SI. muscle man, SI. goon; torturer, rapist, mugger; cannibal, anthrpophagite, ghoul, barbarian, savage; scum, scum of the earth, bad person, low person, SI. putz; hag, harpy, beldam, witch, harridan, hellhag; werewolf, apeman, Frankenstein's monster, gargoyle, Caliban, gorilla. oil, n. 1. lubricant, lubricator, Inf. lube, Pharm. oleum, petrolatum, petroleum jelly, Trademark. Vaseline, baby oil; Chem. glycerol, Chem. glycerin; graphite, plumago, black lead; mineral oil, vegetable oil, olive oil, corn oil, cod-liver oil; grease, drippings, fat, lard, shortening; butter, margarine, oleomargarine, oleo, oleo oil; unguent, ointment, liniment, balm, salve, lotion, cream. See ointment.
2. crude oil, unrefined oil, petroleum, fuel oil, motor
3. pour oil on troubled waters, calm, smooth, quiet, pacifly, soothe, allay.
-v. 4. lubricate, Inf. lube, grease, smear with oil; anoint, embrocate, dress, pomade, smear, daub; soap, wax; slick, smooth, make slippery or smooth; smooth the way, soap the way, oil or grease the wheels.
5. bribe, SI. grease [s.o.'s] palm, pay off, buy, buy off, suborn, corrupt.
-adj. 6. oily, oleaginous. See oily (defs. 1, 2). oilstone, n. whetstone, rubstone, hone, sharpener, grinder, grindstone.
oily, adj. 1. oil, oillike, oleaginous, oleoresinous.
2. greasy, greased, lubricated, lubricous, unctuous, unguinous, slippery, slithery, smooth; buttery, butyra-ceous; fat, fatty, adipose, lardaceous, lardlike, lardy, pinguid, Physiol, sebaceous; soapy, saponaceous, waxy.
3. (all of speech) smooth, unctuous, suave, urbane; glib, fluent, smooth-talking, honey-tongued. ointment, n. unguent, Pharm. inunction, (in prescriptions) unguentum, balm, balsam, salve, vulnerary, Pharm. cerate; liniment, embrocation, emollient, demulcent, Med. abirritant, palliative; collyrium, eyewash; nard, spikenard, pomade, pomatum; lubricant, oil, baby oil, petrolatum, petroleum jelly, Trademark. Vaseline; lotion, liquid cosmetic, moisturizer, skin softener, cream, face or hand cream, cold or cleansing cream, lanolin, skin or body lotion, after-shave lotion, skin bracer. old, adj. 1. older, aging, elderly, aged, vintage, on or up in years, along or advanced in years, past one's prime, Inf. over the hill, Derog. long in the teeth; gray, gray-haired, gray-headed, grizzly, grizzled; hoary, Rare, hoar, venerable, patriarchal; senile, (of women) anile, decrepit, senescent; superannuated, immemorial, olds as the hills, remote.