2. malinger, call in sick, feign illness; loaf, SI. goldbrick, SI. goof off, Brit, skulk, Si. mess or fool around, SI. screw around; slack, lie down on the job, Brit. SI. scrimshank, cop out; look busy, Inf. boondoggle, feign interest, SI. featherbed, SI. dog it; procrastinate, put off; neglect, close one's eyes to, ignore; default, abandon, leave undone.
3. shirker, malingerer. See - shirker, shirker, n. shirk, malingerer, Brit, skulker, Brit. SI. scrimshanker, Inf. soldier, Inf. goldbricker, Brit. SI. skiver, clock watcher, Si. goof-off, Inf. boondoggler; slacker, procrastinator, idler, layabout, loafer, faindant, trifler, Micawber; avoider, evader, deserter, absconder; truant, absentee, dodger, defaulter, neglector; sponger, sponge, SI. schnorrer, Inf. deadbeat.
shiver1, v. 1. tremble, quiver, quaver, quake, shake, shudder, twitter; vibrate, rattle, chatter; convulse, commove, vellicate, twitch; flutter, splutter; shimmy, wiggle; pulsate, pulse, throb, palpitate.
-n. 2. tremble, quiver, shudder; quaver, quake; sputter, splutter, flutter, flicker.
the shivers the shakes, chills, Inf. the creeps, goose pimples, goose bumps.
shiver2, v. 1. break into pieces, splinter, split, split up, shatter, explode, rupture, blast; fragment, chip, crumble, crack off; chisel, whittle, hew.
-n. 2. splinter, sliver, shive, shaving, flake; slice, rasher, Brit. Dial, collop; fragment, shard, snip, snippet; piece, cantle, corner.
shivery1, adj. shuddering, shivering, trembling, quivering, quavering, quaking, shaking, twittering; vibrating, rattling, chattering; convulsing, vellicating, twitching; fluttering, spluttering; shimmying, wiggling; pulsating, pulsing, throbbing, palpitating.
shivery2, adj. brittle, breakable, fragile, frangible, smashable, splintery, shattery, (of wood) brash; crumbly, friable, pulverulent, pulverable, pulveriza-ble, powdery, triturable.
shock1, n. 1. blow, jar, jolt, turn, start, staggering blow; impact, brunt, clash, collision, crash, Inf. crack-up, Inf. smash-up, Inf. crunch; appulse, bump, encounter, jostle, jounce, brush, bounce, jerk; assault, attack, offense, insult.
2. agitation, perturbation, disturbance, distress; conflict, upset, turmoil; setback, comedown, check; surprise, amazement, astonishment, dismay; horror, fear, repulsion, revulsion.
3. earthquake, quake, vibration, shaking, quaking, tremor; explosion, blowup, detonation, blast, burst, shock wave, shock force; eruption, outburst, torrent, rush; disaster, calamity, catastrophe, cataclysm.
5. traumatism, trauma, state of shock, prostration, stupor, stupefaction; paralysis, stroke, concussion, breakdown, collapse; shell shock, battle fatigue.
5. startler, shocker, bolt out of the blue, thunderbolt, thunderclap, bomb, bombshell,' blockbuster, earth-shaker, eyeopener, revelation, Inf. switch, Inf. kicker, Inf. joker, Inf. kick in the teeth.
-v. 6. stagger, bowl over, take one's breath away, boggle, boggle the mind, strike dumb, dumfound, overwhelm, bewilder, give a turn, confound, Inf. flabbergast; paralyze, stupefy, electrify, galvanize; revolt, repel, horrify, appall, make one's hair stand on end, make one's blood curdle or run cold, freeze the blood; jar, jolt, stun, shake, shake up, throw off, throw off balance, Inf. discombobulate; disgust, scandalize, raise eyebrows, offend; surprise, astonish, astound, startle; disturb, upset, perturb, stir, agitate; disquiet, discompose, unsettle, catch unprepared, catch off-guard, SI.